Breaking in and testing out my Husqy 353

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IchWarriorMkII

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So I haven't really ran my saw a bunch, yet... so I laid into some Russian Olive trees on the ranch that needed some clearing out. Has anyone tried burning this stuff as firewood? I've dabbled it in... had some mixed results... Anyways, now that the time has changed, I can't go play Mr. Chainsaw and cut things down and into little pieces after work any more...

RussianOlivecut.jpg

RussianOliveHusky.jpg

The Husky runs pretty good in it, there really aren't any big trunks that require a larger saw... I think. I've got my mind set on a 365 as you all know, and Im wondering if I would really use it on these size of trees. Once I get hooked on some more power I might...

Also, Its got on 18" bar on it. Would Running a shorter bar improve its limbing qualities, as well as bucking?

I have a 353 once you get the muffler opened up they run alot better. The 353 also has that wonderful cadulati coverter [can't spell that] on it. I would get someone to do a muffler mod on it and it should be fine.

got 353g myself with 13" bar, so far it seems great saw and ive just finished breaking it in and adjusted carb last time... so i havent yet tested how it feels after break in... but great saw imo :cheers: :cheers:

My 353G is a bit over 3 years old, and I have never had any sort of trouble with it. The original 13" bar was put away after 2 chains because it felt rear heavy with it, and I have since had a 15" on it - better balance, and better reach.
The chain is 95VP/H30 narrow kerf. Some time I am going to try 21LP and 25RS, but I don't really believe they will be faster.....

For the wood in the pictures, and in blis' pictures, there are no need for a larger saw - it is capable of more than that.

By now I would have chosen a 346xp instead for small wood, as I tend to pick the MS361 anyway for larger wood.

My next saw is going to be a 353 with a 16 inch bar. No sense in using a bigger saw and/or bar then you have too................in my opinion anyway's! Thanks for the pic's!

@IchWarriorMkII

I notised the green gas cap on your saw, which makes me think it is an E-tech, with a cat muffler.

You should consieder doing something about that, as the saw will run very hot......;)

SawTroll said:
@IchWarriorMkII

I notised the green gas cap on your saw, which makes me think it is an E-tech, with a cat muffler.

Yoy should consieder doing something about that......;)

i tought it was america cap (put fuel in tank with green cap :hmm3grin2orange:)

Gunner said:
looking at getting a 353 soon, how do they perform with a 20" bar.

Don't think it would be happy w/ full bar cuts at all. But in 10in and 12in wood you won't notice any real difference from a 16" or 18". Just a little more friction and a little more drag. 20" gives you a little more reach for limbing.

But I think a 353 w/ a 20" is gonna get pretty nose heavy. I had a 20" on my 361 for about 2 days and took it back for an 18". Much better for my use. I do have a 24" for it 'if needed' but it's much handier w/ the 18".

353 w/ a 16" would be a charm. Good idea to have a spare bar in case a tree sits back on your saw. You can move the powerhead to the spare bar to rectify the mishap...pick up a 20" bar and chain as a spare.

Chaser

wagonwheeler said:
Don't think it would be happy w/ full bar cuts at all. But in 10in and 12in wood you won't notice any real difference from a 16" or 18". Just a little more friction and a little more drag. 20" gives you a little more reach for limbing.

But I think a 353 w/ a 20" is gonna get pretty nose heavy. I had a 20" on my 361 for about 2 days and took it back for an 18". Much better for my use. I do have a 24" for it 'if needed' but it's much handier w/ the 18".

353 w/ a 16" would be a charm. Good idea to have a spare bar in case a tree sits back on your saw. You can move the powerhead to the spare bar to rectify the mishap...pick up a 20" bar and chain as a spare.

Chaser
Yep, you're right!

I think Saw Troll is right, its an e-tech...

Ill double check tomarrow, but I've seen an e-tech label/sticker somewhere before.

Who does the muffler mod? Im already tuned at full rich on hi and low setting... will I need to bust the adjust knobs off after I get the muffler done?

IchWarriorMkII said:
I think Saw Troll is right, its an e-tech...

Ill double check tomarrow, but I've seen an e-tech label/sticker somewhere before.

Who does the muffler mod? Im already tuned at full rich on hi and low setting... will I need to bust the adjust knobs off after I get the muffler done?

might be worth getting just the muffler for normal 353 (not e-tech or tac muffler) and then see if it still needs bigger hole.. and yes, you will need to adjust carb after you change/mod muffler

Latest posts

Back