Breaking Pole Saw Blade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTreeSpyder

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Do others out there have this same problem?

i posted it in Sherrill section, thought i might try here.

"Hey,Sean here is a problem (by design i think); that i have had with replacement polesaw blades for Snap-Cut design (i beleive) for mounting to fiberglass Jameson poles.

i think that any sideward pressure on the blade, pushing flat against the head, flexes right on this extra hole; the Achille's heel of the device. Any pressure the opposite way, puts a lot of flex over an area that the hole is in; not on the specific, focused point as when placing pressure against the head. Both, actions fatigue the metal on this weakpoint. i think that normal day to day use would do this some, noone making exact, straight strokes especially fatigued or hanging upside down!"

Last edited:
Maybe that extra hole is part of the marketting plan.
One of the many problems with capitalism...
These corporate execs get a graph showing profits based on the life of the product and realize they'll make more money by selling an inferior product and do that.... their responsibility to the stockholder.
Maybe Tom D could develop a program of business ethics for corporate execs.... teach 'em that their is more to business than just making money.
God Bless All,
Daniel

I will start by saying great pic and explanation. I see the problem.

I have a solution, do not use snap-cut blades. Just use Fanno-Mondo blades. They are $25 compared to $10 for the snapcut but they will last 4-5 times longer. You get what you pay for here.

Oh yeah, throw the other end down first.

Nate

anyone else ever get bored and see how deep they can sink a Jameson pole into a customer's lawn from a tree?

Ever though about doing that to a customer who wants to watch and give you "advice" all day?

Well, i can't say i haven't ever screwed up and tossed a pole and it caught the blade; but that is rare-rare, like less than once a year!

i'm fairly good at sticking one in soft lawn (no roots), like leaving it standing in bushes better.

i hope it is not planned obsloescence Daniel; but rather a multi use blade; that has an overlooked weakness in this application; that happens to be popular with this industry.

There are a few customers (and employees) over time that i wished to train for a new Olympic event of Javelin catching; seems that the best don't last at that event!!! So it would be my civic duty to train them, especially when they volunteer all day!

Of course when i used to ride a 'cycle; i dreamed of having horn button replaced with a switch for extending 'Ben Hur Hubbs'; so might need to tone the intensity down a bit!!!!!

I snapped the tip off of my Ginga pruning saw today it was getting dull thugh. :blob2:

I've used corona blades a lot. Still snap them. Cant seem to pull a saw straight through a curf:rolleyes:.

I've snapped a few in the middle too :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I like the sliky Zubat polesaw. You can bend it like a woodworkers saw and it still works afterwards. I've done that a number of tiles to get into tight sprouts.

I've been using my new Silky polesaw for about 2 weeks now and Don't expect it to last very long. The blade is nice as JPS said but the housing seems cheap.

Ken,
Here is a response from Tobe himself:

Thanks much for your thorough explanation. I must tell you that this
information is already in the hands of the right people in an attempt to
correct what we are only just now discovering as an issue, but what's likely
been happening for quite some time. I will personally assure you that change
is underway.

Sincerely,
Tobe @ Sherrill

Ken,
I am also emailing you with some specific info regarding this matter. Thanks.
-Sean

Wow, that's really quick!!

i wonder if Joe Schmo's Hardware or Arbo Supply would come back that quick and positive! On such a simple issue, carrying no liability of damages in problem, and reducing their sales of blades in following thru!!! What the Haill are you guys thinking anyway? Do i have to bluntly point out all that isn't very profitable; and you are rushing into it at the same time?

And the top man is taking his time too?:confused:

i easily used Windows standard MSPaint and Windows standard copy/paste to grab from Sherrill site (don't think this use would violate anything) and manipulate said images and place text, arrows. i guess my posts are getting smaller, as i get to slide a 1000 wierds in with a .jpg/.gif!

i imagine if JP put the go-rilla on a few of the 'olde' blades (maybe that is where you can unload 'em; he won't read this!); he would find same weakness; i personally think it is weakest link structurally (blade not JP, another kinda link there!!!)on usable part of blade past mount, that lines up at leverage point of flexing on head in each direction of weak axis. ie. flexing blade right (against head)puts direct, leveraged flex exactly right on the weakest structural point of blade end, flexing blade left(away from head); is almost as bad. So only smooth straight, straight cuts in the assertive cutting arena don't compound the problem of leveraged position of head and mating weak point of mounted blade to it. My only other way out was more support with the resultant 'washer'.

Continuing Thanx, Sir

monkey puzz,

It is, and be careful with it. Only use it when your jamesons wont cut the mustard.

I broke mine, but replacements parts are finally available- not for the Zubat pole tho...

Those litttle buttons tendto fall out too. I sitll use the thing for all my low ground cutting and if i need to make a few cuts while in the tree, or one large stub...Otherwise I'll carry my clients 12 foot basswood pole around the canopy.

True, it is a lot lighter than the equivalent 21 feet of jamesons. and more rigid....but so flimsy and delicate.

Wingnuts on the head? Just tighten em down with pliers. Pushbuttons dont stay in too well, usually just the last one, and the red clamps dont hold--- all in all, a problematic tool.

But it sure is nice when it works, and when you need all that reach.

I have one broken section and one dinged one, hope I can replace them reasonably cheaply....

Latest posts

Back