Fiskars pole pruner w/ saw blade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolbrze

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We've got a Jameson pole pruner/saw but want something easy to manuever while on the ground for smaller jobs. I had a Fiskars a while back but sold it and am thinking of getting another. Home Depot has 2 models: the 1st is a 14' extension pruner/saw w/ rope pull cord & what looks like SS blade for $40. The 2nd is a 15' extension pruner/saw w/ rope pull cord also, but has a chain on the gear box claiming it's 3 times more leverage w/ a Titanium blade for $60. What do you think?

Never used the Fiskars pruners. I have a couple of Corona pruners that hold up for neighborhood use. One has a heavier duty head than the ones I see on the $40-$60 Corona pruners. Came with a better quality blade and a higher leverage pruner. Not sure if I like the chain - gets tangled some times. Might hold up for the use you are describing.

Not sure of the model, but it is probably something like the one below. I think that I paid about $70 - $80 for it a few years ago.

attachment.php

Philbert

My thought is that I don't like the saw and rope with lopper on the same tool.

Either two poles with one on each, or a pole where the two attachments can be switched.

i got the 14' and it is great for light duty. no rope; straps inside handle pull the chain that closes the jaw. swivel head angles to the collar nicely.

best little pruner is wolf-garten's 7-14'--4 pulleys make a lot of advantage.

jameson makes a telescoping pole and its pruner head is good too.

I have used one quite a bit. It is ok but has a tremendous amount of flex when extended and the blade is pretty easy to bend so you will spend alot of time bending it back into shape. Be prepared for a shoulder workout and a good bit of cussing if used alot. Also the rope for the pruner can be a pia. If it is to be used alot spend the extra money and get a good saw it will make life much easier. I now own a silky.:chainsaw:

Last edited:
I have the Fiskars pole pruner and use it a LOT, I think mine is 11' or so...DITCH the saw blade it is useless.
Other than that it is one of my most used and useful tools for pruning, I've had mine for about 3 years and it is doing fine. It gets dragged around in the trees a lot and abused, dead branches and twigs get banged with it...then live ones snipped and clipped. Max branch size you can cut is about 2" for real soft stuff, less for harder stuff

The multi position for the pull handle is great, keep it short and use the sliding one in the middle, extend it all the way, reach as high as you can and use the knob on the bottom...the swivel head allows you to make more precise cuts too. The 'cord' is actually a nylon strap, it lies flat and close to the pole and so doesn't get tangled in the branches.

If you want a pole saw option, get a Silky, I've got the 21' Hayauch...light enough to climb with, doesn't require popeye arms and shoulders...my blade is still good after two years...

Have a Fiskars (actually two, got the 6' stick as well) use it a LOT, like it a LOT!!

I've got the 21' Hayauch...light enough to climb with, doesn't require popeye arms and shoulders. [/QUOTE]Ha! that is funny--my helper begged to switch to a lighter model after a short time in a 94' oak the other day--and i tire with it after regular use. You may have Olive Oyl arms but they must be wiry, lady!

:bowdown:

re Fiskars yes the knob and head spinning are great features--how do you secure yours to your saddle?

I've got the 21' Hayauch...light enough to climb with, doesn't require popeye arms and shoulders.
Ha! that is funny--my helper begged to switch to a lighter model after a short time in a 94' oak the other day--and i tire with it after regular use. You may have Olive Oyl arms but they must be wiry, lady!

:bowdown:

re Fiskars yes the knob and head spinning are great features--how do you secure yours to your saddle?[/QUOTE]

Sure the Hayauchi can be awkward and we all get tired after some time...I have some neck issues and looking up for a long time gives me fits... but I would hate to be using those Jameson things everyone else talks about...solid wood, not me, give me my 'light' Hayauchi!
BTW what is the weight comparison? I could be missing the plot completely!

If I need to attach the Fiskars to my saddle I put a loop runner under the head and clip it in...not the best but it works...a lot of the time I just rest it in the branches and move it around as I go

Latest posts

Back