Bridge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul16

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey I've got a pretzel sequoia and this is the weak spot on my bridge, is that safe to climb with? I've already ordered a new bridge and it's on the way.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 74
Some would, I wouldn't

Looks like it's been slashed with a silky...?

How does the rest of the harness look?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I think tree climbing gear is really strong even when damaged like that (I could be wrong though). However, it may not be the smartest thing to use damaged life support equipment... I wouldn't feel to comfortable going very high with that. I may climb 20' in lots of limbs with that bridge, maybe not, I'd have to see it in person. You could get some 3/8 tenex (.45 cents a foot) or any kind of rated cord really and keep as spares so if this happens again you can have a safe bridge while your new bridge goes through the mail. I've cut 3/8 tenex in half with a chainsaw with a 100lb+ limb attached to it before and the rope took the shock of a few feet drop and lowered without breaking. To me a 3/8 tenex bridge made by an overhand knot with a half hitch on each ring seems safe.

I'd probably improvise a secondary bridge and use both if you need to climb tomorrow....or do a non-climbing job for the day. Hopefully your bridge will be there by the end of the day if you ordered it yesterday.

If you climbed like that, I'd say never be without the lanyard clipped in.

Looking at the picture it looks like it's not the bridge but the webbing connecting the bridge to the harness, I'm still wondering what the rest of the harness looks like

Looking at the picture it looks like it's not the bridge but the webbing connecting the bridge to the harness, I'm still wondering what the rest of the harness looks like

I'll throw up a picture of the harness so you can see it. It's the companies and I'm am buying my own at the end of the month and am prolly gonna retire/keep this as a back up

Some would, I wouldn't

Looks like it's been slashed with a silky...?

How does the rest of the harness look?

It does look like it's been slashed once, it's the companies so idk what happened to it previously

I just want to say that earlier i said you could tie a rope bridge with an overhand knot backed up by a half hitch and now I'm not so sure I have the names right. Judging by some youtube videos I'm seeing I think an overhand knot and half hitch might be the same thing.. So I'm not sure what I call the main knot I use.. You basically make an X over one part of the line and then come up through the X. Not sure what it's called now. Sorry.

I think it's a double fishermans bend but instead of 2 knots holding 2 ropes together its one knot on the same rope to make a loop. I don't know a technical name for it

Ok good to know. Thanks. Now I'm not sure what my srt base anchor is which I learned from YouTube as a clove hitch.. I guess I should probably not suggest knots by name

Now Im watching videos on how to tie a clove hitch and I think it is my base anchor not the x knot I'm talking about. Pretty sure my base anchor is a clover hitch backed up by half hitches and a biner. I'm going to have to make a video of the knot I mean and post it on here

the "X" knot is a clove hitch.

tying 2 pieces of rope with a clove hitch on each is a double fisherman
Not exactly. When you double a rope back on its self and tie a clove hitch around the line it's a buntline. Some people use this as a termination knot, I've never liked it. A double fishermans is two ropes joined with two double overhand knots. The most common termination knot I see used is essentially one end of a double fishermans tied back to the same line, forming a loop around the carabiner (also called a poachers knot, double overhand snare, or strange snare). If you look at where the tale ends up in the two you will see a big difference. I'm not actually sure what two ropes joined with two clove hitches would be called.

poachers knot, double overhand snare, or strange snare).
Yes, I had never heard these names before but the poachers knot is definitely what I've been talking about. Hard to untie after being weighted heavily but i believe it to be dependable

Never thought of that thanks. I don't use it on biners though. I use it around limbs in a retrievable rigging system and around snaps for lanyards. For that I just try to slide the knot out and get some slack to untie

Back