Briggs carnage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put a 420cc Predator Engine from Harbor Freight on my splitter. Holy crap do those engines run smooth. They take about 3-4 hours at mid throttle to break in (no load). After that they sit right at 3600 RPM.

I have an identical 420cc on an Ariens 11528 (11.5HP 28") that had the stock Tecumseh seize. Both engines run great with loads of power. They are about 16hp.

You can usually find them on sale for about $320. You can also almost always find a 20% off coupon as well....so $256 for a brand new Honda knock off. Get the warranty for $30. HF warranty works like this: Engine dies. empty fluids and remove from application. Bring to the store and tell them it died. They give you a brand new engine. I have had zero issues with my 2, 420cc Predator Engines.

image_20329.jpg

what parts are used to repair them predators? honda? as in carb parts...etc.

As far as I can tell from other forums, they are a bored and stroked knock off of a GX390. I believe most Honda parts are a direct bolt on, though neither of mine has ever needed a single part.

There are guys on other forums heavily modifying them and getting over 30 hp at 7,000+ RPM. (New valves, titanium springs, lightweight flywheel, no governor, etc.) Apparently they get good longevity out of them in this configuration. The stock crank, rod, piston, case, stays stock. The rest gets replaced for high RPM use.

My splitter probably has 30 to 50 hours on it (5" x 24" piston, 14GPM pump) splitting Ash, Maple, and Oak.

The snowblower only has about 5 hours on it, but most of that was shooting extremely wet snow. I use an impeller kit on the blower (SNOWBLOWER IMPELLER KIT) on mine, and it will shoot snow about 60 feet.

I use castrol syntec 5w30 and nothing else.

Last edited:
I put a 420cc Predator Engine from Harbor Freight on my splitter. Holy crap do those engines run smooth. They take about 3-4 hours at mid throttle to break in (no load). After that they sit right at 3600 RPM.

I have an identical 420cc on an Ariens 11528 (11.5HP 28") that had the stock Tecumseh seize. Both engines run great with loads of power. They are about 16hp.

You can usually find them on sale for about $320. You can also almost always find a 20% off coupon as well....so $256 for a brand new Honda knock off. Get the warranty for $30. HF warranty works like this: Engine dies. empty fluids and remove from application. Bring to the store and tell them it died. They give you a brand new engine. I have had zero issues with my 2, 420cc Predator Engines.

image_20329.jpg

My wood-cutting buddy put one of those engines on his splitter after the Briggs decided to put it's rod through the block. He's had very good luck with it. It starts much, much easier than the Briggs did and seems to be very reliable.

My wood-cutting buddy put one of those engines on his splitter after the Briggs decided to put it's rod through the block. He's had very good luck with it. It starts much, much easier than the Briggs did and seems to be very reliable.

If it takes more than 1 pull.....you screwed something up (gas off, choke off, switch off, empty tank, etc.)

Looks like you use 10w40.....

30 in hot weather 10/30 winter, I owned it for 4yrs and has split over 100 cord, its the older version set up for vertical shaft engine.

I assume that one failed while in normal operation...

I had a neighbor at one time who were super nice, but mechanically inclined as bricks. Their son was told to mow the yard. I'm thinking he was 15 or 16. Anyway he checked over everything, put gas in it, checked the oil and noticed there was only oil on the end of the dip stick. So he filled it up. Not as in to the top of the check marks - to the top of the fill tube. He started it, and apparently it ran for a few seconds. Then it snapped the connecting rod and punched a hole right through the block...oil pouring everywhere.

I happen to have an older model B&S engine sitting in the garage doing nothing. I took the best pieces of each and built a new engine. They paid me $20 for a gasket kit and spark plug. It ran the entire next summer until they moved and a least for a while at their new place. At least I saved them a couple hundred bucks on a new mower.

I assume that one failed while in normal operation...

I had a neighbor at one time who were super nice, but mechanically inclined as bricks. Their son was told to mow the yard. I'm thinking he was 15 or 16. Anyway he checked over everything, put gas in it, checked the oil and noticed there was only oil on the end of the dip stick. So he filled it up. Not as in to the top of the check marks - to the top of the fill tube. He started it, and apparently it ran for a few seconds. Then it snapped the connecting rod and punched a hole right through the block...oil pouring everywhere.

I happen to have an older model B&S engine sitting in the garage doing nothing. I took the best pieces of each and built a new engine. They paid me $20 for a gasket kit and spark plug. It ran the entire next summer until they moved and a least for a while at their new place. At least I saved them a couple hundred bucks on a new mower.

Last winter it would rattle some @ start-up, should have taken a look then, but hindsight is 20/20!!

Latest posts

Back