Briggs valve guide problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

06switchback

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My home made splitter has a briggs and stratton intek generator engine on it a couple of years ago one of the valve guides moved limiting the travel of the valve and in turn bent a push rod I pushed it back into place peened around it and got a push rod from the parts motor it ran another year or so and then did the same thing so I swapped the cylinder head from the parts motor and it has now a couple years later done it again what would be the cause of this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Common problem with those engines, the head is aluminum and the guides are a metal, they heat up at different rates.

The head is aluminum and the guides look like they might be brass

I think I might be in the market for a different engine I can't see putting much money into this one

Too bad your not close, I have 5 or 6 good engine from generators. Gen head burnt and we tossed it, kept the engine.

The one I used was hard to adapt for other purposes the crank end was different it had a tapered end that I cut off and then had to cut a place for a keyway with a die grinder wasn't easy but it worked

Tap the guide back in and ping the edges together like on a valve seat. I have done this dozen of times

Yeah has a tapered crank. You can make or buy an adapter to make them straight shafts though. Or pull it apart and stick the crank on the lathe, but that's a pain.

I have a 16 hp duromax coming from amazon for $269 with free shipping il give it a try should be in Thursday then I need to order a pump mount and the crank is bigger than the old one so a new connector to

Price alone reviews were about the same as any of the Chinese engines

Please post more about the engine once you begin to work it. $269 for a 16hp engine is an excellent price.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Well I still haven't seen my new engine they changed the delivery date to this week so hopefully I will have it soon

I'm betting that's the 13hp everyone sells, and they are calling it a 16... Not that, that is so bad, 13 is a decent engine...

SR

I got new engine and had to order a different pump mount witch took about a week to come in so I put it all together and ran it last night and I have no complaints with the duromax it runs good and starts easy I only ran it for an hour or so splitting up some hemlock for camp fires wasn't a strenuous test

Latest posts

Back