Brits talkin about Brit stuff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr. Brushcutter-You said it is quite scary the stuff you can get on the bay. Really, common sense is just not common I guess. In America you can go to a store, garage sale, put down your money and walk out with all kinds of firearms, ammunition. Used to be that way here as well, now it can take a while, 30 years ago you could buy dynamite and blasting caps at a supply store. Ebay sells things, they are not a nanny service, c'mon do you need your hand held all the time? And Buzz, your insurance went up 800% in 4 years, that is just totally insane. I know that the rate did not go up more than 50% in the logging industry here, even with 43 deaths in one year. You guys have way too many chiefs and not enough Indians, whats next, a license to go to the bog?

clearance said:
Mr. Brushcutter-You said it is quite scary the stuff you can get on the bay. Really, common sense is just not common I guess. In America you can go to a store, garage sale, put down your money and walk out with all kinds of firearms, ammunition. Used to be that way here as well, now it can take a while, 30 years ago you could buy dynamite and blasting caps at a supply store. Ebay sells things, they are not a nanny service, c'mon do you need your hand held all the time? And Buzz, your insurance went up 800% in 4 years, that is just totally insane. I know that the rate did not go up more than 50% in the logging industry here, even with 43 deaths in one year. You guys have way too many chiefs and not enough Indians, whats next, a license to go to the bog?

When i started officially 4 years ago my insurance was £300.00 per annum it's now circa £7,000 for exactly the same cover, same broker etc. I'm lying about by climbing turnover next year as it's getting stupid. BTW staff levels are the same if not lower as well :bang:

clearance said:
You guys have way too many chiefs and not enough Indians, whats next, a license to go to the bog?

nah just a license to use a brush and shovel

jamie

nohope said:
Also, As far as I am aware, the matter of needing certification to buy one is enforced by trading standards officers from the local authority not us.
There is a duty to check that the purchaser holds certification, however in my experience that has meant in the past that someone holding CS31 has been sold a top handle : Because someone didn't realise that appropriate certification means CS39, and that was from a dealer :angry2:

I know that this doesn't help, but it may explain why you got no joy when you rang us, sorry.

I have a top handled saw and cs39, but I no longer climb. As I understand it, it would be illegal for me to use it on the ground, even though it would make my hedge laying work a lot easier. The last operation I have to do is to saw the tops of the stakes off at the same level. They're in every 18" or so, and need to be sawn at around chest height. on a typical job, there might be 2-300 or so (ie lots!) to do. A 200T would be the ideal saw for this job, but I'm not allowed to use one. For the sake of my safety, I have to use a heavier rear handled saw, which is less accurate and a lot more painful (see how long you can hold such a saw out at chest height and almost arms length).:bang:

on the ground

my personal hate when using 020s on the ground is that i listen for the 020 sounds to get a vague idea of what the climber is doing. have an 020 on the ground and i get real confused. :confused:

i know we are not meant to use them but they sure are handy, i'm sure we should not onehand them often either.

jamie

iain said:
hi ya guys

i've got a lot of stumps to treat (kill) any suggestions
urea ?

Don't think urea does anything except prevent infection from fungus, notably Heterobasidiun annosum (I think). Glyphosate (eg Roundup) at 20% will work, but becomes less effective from March onwards. Ammonium sulphamate (eg rootout) is an alternative for spring and summer. 2,4 D/dicamba/triclopyr (eg Nushot) is ok for any time of year, but is less environmentally and operator friendly, and expensive.

had one or two ,but havent noticed this phenomonen,seems to be new companys springing up all over huddersfield,was up there a few days ago visited the new arb supplier on vine street ,seem like good lads,,,,whats the problem with the chestnuts,??

cheers for that,seems the same round here ,everyone with a tranny van and b&q chainsaw setting up ,as you said the quality suffers as prices plummet,only good news is that the wanna be tree surgeons only pick on the small easy stuff,leaving the big trees to the real tree boys, my local paper is flooded with them ,mobile numbers everywhere,so much so have packed in advertising with them ,sick of putting a fair price onto something to be beaten comprehensively by a white van driving scroat,,,,,,,,,,,,,,mustnt grumble tho ,,,,,eh ,,,,

pete mctree said:
The bark cracks n peels leaving a serious hazard to climb if u are not carefull! u cannot trust the dead leaders!

Bugger that we don't climb dead trees down here,we use platforms for dead tree removals..HSE would go nuts if an accident happend whilst climbing a dead tree..

Same things happening down here Teressa every man and his dog is a tree surgeon or thinks they are,the wankers have ruined the small job market..

Now what I do is not trying to sound mega rich or a smart arse is I give a client/job a price that is proffitable for me,they take it or leave it I can sit at home and earn FA i'm certainly not going to work and loose money...

You still thinking about going into hard landscaping ??

given up on the idea ,same problem as tree work too many cats chasing to little work,i have the same mentality now give the price and go home ,best bit is getting underbid by some pillock ,who then is unable to do the job ,makes for an interesting conversation usually ending in the words **** off,for years now the small jobs have been my own personal cash machine,,,,,but its getting harder mate ,really feel like selling up and moving on but what does a 40 yr old tree wallah do ,when he hasnt done anything except tree work ? personally its all down to educating the householder in my opinon ,but money talks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

pete mctree said:
using a platform is fine but i have yet to find a customer willing to pay for a crane to lift the platform over the house and into the back garden!!!!! (touchy subject have just priced another one this aft!!)

Tracked platforms that will go up 18 metres and will fit through a 36'' gate are only £170 a day or £500 for the week..There available from www.lionlift.co.uk there only down the M1 Northampton

moving

just moved house again, in with my mate now, worst part is i'm now in a single bed :jawdrop:, need more space. that and i've been shopping for some new toys, digi cameras, tons of overly priced clothes, some arb stuff and i'm off to blow a ton on arb books and a new bike. :dizzy:

welcome pete. i've asked this on the proclimber forum anyone know of any postgrad courses? got an hons degree in countryside management and my RFS cert arb (the theory side) but i'm looking for further education, i feel my mind is getting a bit soft.

jamie :greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back