Brits talkin about Brit stuff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what rolla is on about,try using this web address & go to the assesment schedules for utility arboriculture.
www.nptc.co.uk

we also need authorisation from the electricity company whose network we are working on & have to follow there safety rules.

Ross-they look o.k., established outfit, 9001 certified. The training here is like 1200 hours of supervised work close to power, 6 weeks in school over two years and a final test. Anyone is allowed to climb if it doesn't involve powerlines. Utility guys are thought as second class climbers here though by residential climbers, especially if they are I.S.A.. The public generally don't like us either, except during stormwork when the powerline is ripped down and the trees are blocking the road. Then we are heroes. In small communities people like us, old people usually like us too. There are definite rules to obey from the power co. and the compensation board. One handing saws is verboten but done all the time, cause you have to do it, realistically. Treework is just more fun when you are close to big power.

Aint looking forward to going into work in the morning,have to sign contract that i dont agree with.Need to find work to tide me offer till West Coast offer me a start date before i can walk.

clearance. Treework is just more fun when you are close to big power.[/QUOTE said:
Used to get a "buzz" from it, get my kicks other ways nowadays,lol!!!

been "super-sub" again today, feling siccies and elums in St Ives for jacksons along a river bank so they can build up flood defences, thought I was in for a crappy day, pleasantly surprised. nice job yesterday take-down Robinia in a small garden with Mr Bullman.

Still working my notice,the job at west coast looks like its a none starter as my boss has ****** things up.
My partner whom i love deeply told me last monday that she had feelings for another man,but were living individaul lives when she told me but i have to get on with my life & let her go,just got the family home to sort out & tell the kids.
You may think im sad but i have been mailing a 34 women from the Ukraine who is drop dead georgous,nowt will happen(wish it would) but its keeping me going & building my confidence up again.

promo

just been given a promotion, i'm foreman now, after a year of doing it anyway my boss bit the bullet and gave me the title and a pay rise to boot. unfortunalty Jamie the treesurgeon isnt as profitable as he should be, keeps buying stuff so the tax man is due me money again, damn shame. :laugh: :laugh:

party on people

jamie

now its official i'm letting the newstart know his mistakes more often, i keep having to shout at him after warning him that i'm cutting, shout below, he looks up (while directly below me) and watches, i've dropped a few twigs on him. i would love to say that even a 10watt bulb was on but there is nothing, and after 6 weeks im getting sick of seeing him eat only crisps and sweets at lunchtime, how old? 23 and still cant look after himself. :cry:

jamie

Last edited:
HAHAHA i had a nugget last summer who would only eat prawn cocktail crisps,he'd also only drink lucozade...:bang:

after standing by a bin for 10 mins the gaffa went over to see him and told him to at least look interested in the job (not actually be interested).

jamie

Its been a while I know, January was mad for me, didn't get a single full day in the office so I've only just had a chance to try and catch up.
Ross, sorry to hear about your news, both personal and work but congrats on getting trainee through cert. You are right to start making a fuss about working without clearance of live lines, utilities are ok about shutting down (at least from what I hear!!!) especially if they have had fatalities!! and ended up in court. OUtage is a lot cheaper. Try going for the training thing, its a much easier life!!
ANyone doing anything interesting?

on jamies note, today we were working on a building site for a major contractor. The signs were well posted, ie hard hats hi-viz, and safetyn boots. This lad was mooching around the site all day as gopher, walkman on hoodie up, in and around 360 excavators and teleporters, oblivious to the outside world. The 360 driver was hooting at him, then shouting at him, to no avail. he wandered straight in front of the tracks at one point, unaware of the danger he was in. Ok, in this instance he was fine, due to the observancy of those around him, but he's got to be on borrowed time. MY point is that these hoods block out peripheral vision and sound, 2 of our best senses. However cold it may be, its got to be better cold than dead!

BigA get the digger driver to dig a big hole and put the **** in it..the likes of him we can do without in the gene pool.........:D

Last edited:
LOL!!! Its scary what you see in everyday life. Hmmm bit nippy today, -.7 today in BSE, frosted me visor up.

Back