Broken Piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winn R

Rambling Wreck
Reaction score
I came across this today on a Husqvarna 2100 that was locked up.

attachment.php

I wonder if the wrist pin clip came off?

attachment.php

There's a corresponding nick in the ported cylinder wall.

What piston would you guys suggest? And I've been unable to find an after market cylinder for a 2100; my success with used ones on ebay hasn't been good -- can anyone point me in a direction?

Reminds me of the old racing joke:

A racecar driver is walking away from his smoking car, past the grandstands filled with drunk race fans. As he walks by the fence, a grubby, teetering fan yells out "what's wrong man?" When the driver yells back "piston broke" the drunk fan says "yeah, me too."

I know just how you feel mate :biggrinbounce2:

Reminds me of the old racing joke:

A racecar driver is walking away from his smoking car, past the grandstands filled with drunk race fans. As he walks by the fence, a grubby, teetering fan yells out "what's wrong man?" When the driver yells back "piston broke" the drunk fan says "yeah, me too."

If I wasn't broke, I could buy a saw that wasn't. :cry:

Ouch!!!!!!

What's the top of the piston look like? Is there a hole in it? Looks like it was ran awfully rich. Carbon build up..

The clip is a possibility and there may, or may not be visible damage in the cylinder resulting from the wrist pin sliding out?

I ran into a similar situation a couple weeks back with an 036 Stihl. In this case it was definitely because the guy was running it too lean.

damaged036piston.jpg

The clip is a possibility and there may, or may not be visible damage in the cylinder resulting from the wrist pin sliding out?

I was lucky with the wrist pin which is good. Guys here would know if replacement cylinders were about -- the silence echoes. I think maybe the nicks from the clip are fixable.

Baileys didn't seem to have the piston, I did want the Meteor, and both Greece and Singapore were too long a wait. I ordered from a guy in LA.

Ouch!!!!!!

What's the top of the piston look like? Is there a hole in it? Looks like it was ran awfully rich. Carbon build up..

You're right. It was run way too rich -- the top of the cylinder was caked. No hole in the top, it just took some gentle persuasion to get the cylinder off.
I'm guessing a fairly recent piston job.

Last edited:
Back