Broken Rib !!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chugbug

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I guess I'll be out of commission for a while , I was fueling up the tractor and when stepping off to the other floor my foot missed the edge and I landed on my side on the concrete . All I can say is OUCH!! never had such pain !! Its been a week , I'm much better now but still have to sleep upright in a chair . Not sure how long before I can pick up a saw again , I heard from someone today that it takes 8 weeks for a bone to heal . Good thing the wood shed is full but most of it is to heavy for the wife , I'll have to try and get some of it split into smaller sizes if I can find some help .I can't believe the pain I had on the way to the hospital !!! Anyone else break a rib ?

no pain is worse than that from a broken rib. some may be more intense, but a rib is so intrusive. When simply breathing hurts...life is truly miserable. Get well soon.

Broke 3 one time water skiing you think it's bad to laugh try not sneezing during hay fever season:msp_scared: You could not have driven a common pin in my azz with a sledge hammer it was puckerd up so tight.

sorry to hear man...

this joke will make you feel better:

...so, this baby seal walks into a club...

j/k hope you heal up quick man.

Cracked one a couple of years ago, just have to live with it until it heals.

No good

Sorry to hear about your whoops and fall. Happens to everyone sometimes. I've done my ankle, collarbone and that's it. Neither one of those was any fun either. Blew a dozen disks outta my spine, that has resulted in permanent injury and a lot of lost strength and energy. (kids..if this ever happens to you, something like that, and it was from an employers neglect/negligence..get you the meanest TV advertising lawyer you can find, and let him or her do the talking for you..I didn't...was that a bad mistake or what..) I still get *some* work done. enough to hold onto this pitiful "job"....but it just ain't the same....and some weeks I can't do anything at all, can't walk much, can't sit, can't lay down, going to the john becomes an adventure in pain and near fail....

Are you saying your wife can't finish getting the wood split, or what you have split is still too large for her to handle to get to the heater? Perhaps your local church or something might have some members could come over and make some smaller pieces? Barring that, it is the old "hire a teenager" and hand him an ax routine, cost ya a little scratch, but it'll get done. Or, are there any other AS members near you that might could help?

I worry in general about stuff like that myself, that's why I am trying to get years ahead *now* while I can still do it.

I broke a couple of ribs twice this year ... once when I fell off a ladder, and the second time when I tripped on some wood that was on the ground. Both times, it took about 2 months to heal to the point that I didn't notice it sleeping. After 2-3 weeks, I was able to do most things, unless I had to really strain hard. Then, I just gave up and quit that task. It will get much better soon. Just don't breathe hard or laugh or cough.

I'm doing a lot better now and its only been a week so I'm really grateful for that . I can't imagine going through it again some day but it could have been a lot worse , could have hit my head . Wonder how soon I can get a saw back in my hands ? My son has been on a job out of town but he is coming home the holidays so I'll be able to get him to split the wood for me , all is good now . Thanks for the get wells . It can happen so fast guys , be careful out there .

A couple of years ago, I had some sort of virus that had me really hacking. Ended up breaking a rib from coughing.
For a couple of weeks after, I literally had tears in my eyes when I had to cough.

Took a few weeks before the pain to go away enough that I didn't notice it most of the time.

Took a few months for the knot in my side to get where it didn't hurt when bumped.

I feel your pain man, literally!

Last edited:
Yea it HURTS. In 1987 I had 4 bypasses an they cut your breast bone and jack your ribs apart. Way apart. The doc said it will
hurt for 6 weeks and one day you will wake up and the pain will be gone. Just like he said,gone. In 95 I smashed the fourth vertebra
in my back. I think the ribs were almost worst then the back. BUT the pain in the back is still there to this day. When bending
over sawing, splitting or whatever I still remember the day I broke it.

You have my sympathy. I broke 6 ribs while motocross racing. That XR250 suspension couldn't handle the whoops. Ok, ok, my riding ability wasn't good enough for the whoops. That was my first and last time racing moto.

Well anyway it did hurt like everybody else says that it does but when I went back to work in five weeks it wasn't all that bad. I guess the healing time might depend on how bad they're broke.

not sure if mine was broke or not but i was getting ready for work one morning a few years back and sneezed. pain was intense and took me to the floor. worst pain ive ever had and was weeks before it started feeling better. i do construction work, if not for the great group i was with then i would have had to have taken off a few weeks. no work, no pay.

A couple of years ago, I had some sort of virus that had me really hacking. Ended up breaking a rib from coughing.
For a couple of weeks after, I literally had tears in my eyes when I had to cough.

Took a few weeks before the pain to go away enough that I didn't notice it most of the time.

Took a few months for the knot in my side to get where it didn't hurt when bumped.

I feel your pain man, literally!

I did this same thing while I had pneumonia. Still had weeks of coughing to do. OUCH. I was literally seeing spots.

You know when you go to the emergency room, and they ask you to rate the pain on a scale of 1 to 10? That rib breaking adjusted that entire scale for life. A 10 is a whole new level of pain.

Back