Brush Cutter - Husky 235fr vs Stihl fs250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bounty Hunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
We have a couple of thousand feet of fence that is yearly overgrown with Thistle, Sagebrush and :censored: Scrub Oak...and where we can't get close with the tractor we have to cut it out by hand. We tried a yard trimmer that works fine on grass (a Troy-Built from Blowes), but it was totally overmatched for the fence job.
Our dealer suggests either a Husky 235fr or a Stihl fs250...with metal blades. He said the fs250 can be set up with a tri-head plastic knife thing that is supposed to work pretty well.
Anybody have any thoughts? The toughest stuff is the Sage and the Scrub Oak...both consist of bushes made up of hundreds of tough but small stems (1/4" to 3/8" dia., but tough as a bullwhip).
Thanks,
Bounty Hunter

We have a couple of thousand feet of fence that is yearly overgrown with Thistle, Sagebrush and :censored: Scrub Oak...and where we can't get close with the tractor we have to cut it out by hand. We tried a yard trimmer that works fine on grass (a Troy-Built from Blowes), but it was totally overmatched for the fence job.
Our dealer suggests either a Husky 235fr or a Stihl fs250...with metal blades. He said the fs250 can be set up with a tri-head plastic knife thing that is supposed to work pretty well.
Anybody have any thoughts? The toughest stuff is the Sage and the Scrub Oak...both consist of bushes made up of hundreds of tough but small stems (1/4" to 3/8" dia., but tough as a bullwhip).
Thanks,
Bounty Hunter

BH,

I can comment on the triple plastic bladed head that Stihl sells. I like it and have used one for several years. The only problem I've had is that after a while, the shoulder screws that secure the blades to the head have a way of coming out. Get a few extra shoulder screws, 90 cents each I believe, and remember that LocTite is your friend.

Good luck,

ole joat

I've no experience with the Husky, but have been very satisfied with my 250. I have about 5 acres including a long driveway/road that winds up a hillside, so there is a variety of thick tough stuff that regularly needs to be tamed. The 250 has tons of power, and with the comfort harness is a joy to operate. I run the grass knife, circular blade, and string head on mine. All work great for their purposes. I particularly like to run the grass knife on tough weeds that grow on the side of the road.

I've no experience with the Husky, but have been very satisfied with my 250. I have about 5 acres including a long driveway/road that winds up a hillside, so there is a variety of thick tough stuff that regularly needs to be tamed. The 250 has tons of power, and with the comfort harness is a joy to operate. I run the grass knife, circular blade, and string head on mine. All work great for their purposes. I particularly like to run the grass knife on tough weeds that grow on the side of the road.
:agree2: Same here, It is an awesome brushcutter.

I have a Tanaka 250PF that does duty as a trimmer (with line head) and brushcutter using a metal saw blade. For the type of stuff you're talking about, I think you'll need a brushcutter with that capability (to run a metal blade) These look like circular saw blade and for the most part they are. I use mine to clear the sides of my driveway (100 yards long) and other areas of beach rose, blackberry and other type brambles etc. Mine really powers through this and the occasional small alder tree growth (up too 2") it will buck right through. I've found that in instances of the alders, it's better to just bang into them versus slow sawing. This method knocks them right over and if you run into something bigger than a couple inches you can saw through it albeit a bit slower.

I cannot comment on the husky because I have never used one but I have cut many acres of land with Redmax, shindaiwa and stihl trimmers using both metal blades and string. Best bang for the buck is the FS250 with a good harness. For heavy brush, try the metal stihl brush knife. It works well against most anything, it is easy to sharpen and reversible. For cutting saplings and up, I prefer the redmax sst229 metal blade. If you are going to run circular blades, you should get the bike handle version. If you can get it done with the brush knife, you can get the loop handle (FS250R) with the barrier bar handle.

As always, if you can get a mechanized piece of equipment onto the land, do it. A tractor with a brush hog, old gravely sickle bar, billygoat outback or dr field/brush mower can save you hours of backbreaking labor. Just rent the thing for the day and then maintain with your trimmer or mower. As a side note, the FS250 is suppose to be discontinued very soon or has been already. If you want/need one, best get it now. Good luck.

Go for the stihl with 3 blade brush knife.

That plastic tri-blade head is called a Pollycut head here in the uk. Its designed for cutting grass, so not really up to your needs.

I'll be the rebel here. I'd go for an FS-130 with the blade. Don't knock those 4-mix engines until you have run them. The 130 is VERY powerful, and uses less fuel. This is a big issue trimming fence, where you have to walk several hundred yards back to the fuel can each time it runs out.

I'll be the rebel here. I'd go for an FS-130 with the blade. Don't knock those 4-mix engines until you have run them. The 130 is VERY powerful, and uses less fuel. This is a big issue trimming fence, where you have to walk several hundred yards back to the fuel can each time it runs out.

Well, the 200 is gone here this year, and the 250 never was here.

If I was buying now, it would be a Husky, but not the outdated 235.

Last edited:

Clearly, you must have an FS130 with the Stihl factory option extra fuel capacity tank. My FS130R uses the Stihl Dixie cup reduce weight at all cost fuel tank. Cutting brush, my FS130 will run exactly 15-18min at WOT and you will be walking back for more fuel. Sorry, but no matter what your dealer tells you, that 4-mix egg beater POS is no match in either power or performance for the fs250.

Thanks for all the great input...I would rep more but I'm out of ammo for today...

The vote seemed to go pretty strongly toward the fs250...so I had our dealer set us up with one! We got the bike handle version (I like handlebars...must be that Harley connection), and the dealer threw in the three-bladed brush knife and a polycut head (it comes with a string head for .95 line)
The shoulder harness looks well thought out and comfortable, but that remains to be seen after a few hours of use...

I like that it is long enough to be used comfortably by a tall guy...I'm not really tall (6' - 1") but the homeowner trimmers like the Troy-built make you lean over and stress you back, even though they are a lot lighter. At 14 pounds, the fs250 is no flyweight, but the shoulder harness carries the weight for the large part.

I will get a chance to use it later today or tomorrow...and report on how well it handled the job...fenceline work is definely high on the PITA scale.
Thanks again for you all that posted, I'll rep ya when i'm reloaded
Bounty Hunter

There are no point in repping someone, as long as you have less than 50 posts - they turn up as "neutral", and carry no points...:jawdrop:

You made the right decision. Now pitch the standard harness that came with that thing for a stihl extra comfort harness ($59) and get a limit stop deflector ($25) to use with your blades. While not necessary, your money will be well spent on both these accessories. Good Luck.

I'd take the FS200/250 over the 235FR any day - actually did - LOL!

Lol, you're just as picky about your trimmer as with your saws it sounds like.

:cheers:

My boss has a fs250r I run sometimes at work but it's at it's best in really thick strong grass. I prefer the fs130r for all day use and use the fs85r for smaller or more delicate lawns.

:givebeer:

Back