Brushcutters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopJimmy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a FS250 that is my primary string trimmer and I also use it as a brushcutter with the chisel blade. I have wondered about purchasing a dedicated brush cutter FS350-550. I usually am in want of a sharp blade long before I want more power. What is the advantage of the bigger machines? Is it only advantageous in heavy brush? I am primarily using mine for saplings/small trees. It cuts trees up to 2" without any real problems, but if I cut only 1" and smaller, the blade stays sharp a lot longer. Thanks for any input.

Jim

I sold my 550 to the kid next door, now he has the meanest weedeater in town. Basically no replacement for displacement, the thing just kicks ass with a blade, saws down 4" trees no problem.

Brushcutter

I purchased a brushcutter many years ago and have never regretted spending the extra money for the extra power. One advantage to the bigger machine when trimming is it can handle a larger diameter line so the time between lines breaking is longer. I can't give you any advise on keeping the blades sharp as I have the same problem.

The bigger machine I feel is only good for brush and small trees. No need to have a 15lb + machine to trim grass. Just like a top handle saw has its purpose, you cant expect it to cut through a 24" log. I would go something in the 40cc range depending on thickness of what you are cutting.

TopJimmy said:
I have a FS250 that is my primary string trimmer and I also use it as a brushcutter with the chisel blade. I have wondered about purchasing a dedicated brush cutter FS350-550. I usually am in want of a sharp blade long before I want more power. What is the advantage of the bigger machines? Is it only advantageous in heavy brush? I am primarily using mine for saplings/small trees. It cuts trees up to 2" without any real problems, but if I cut only 1" and smaller, the blade stays sharp a lot longer. Thanks for any input.

Jim

The big wammy between those models is price, big differance in price. That 550 is a beast and its around a grand the last time I looked and that wasn't recently. The 250 has plenty of power for most jobs. When you go to the 350 on up your looking at some extra weight to tote around. You might want to go feel one out before giving up your 250. I've only sold one 550 to date. The man who bought says its the meanest machine he ever used. He loved it but that thing is costly and BIG. If you want the biggest and meanest weed/brush cutter in the county it would be the one to have. Don't order it, get your hands on it first before you buy, the weight of it may change your mind, its heavy.....

I have a Stihl FS 353 AV and a Husky 265 laying around out back. Too big most of the time. That Stihl is one funky looking machine though!

I am using a FS200 for grass, bruch and light (sampling) thinning.

It is 36 cc, and basically the same as the 250 - even the rated power output is the same.

It is light, and mostly I think is just the right machine, but from time to time it feels marginal with the saw blade.
I am pretty sure that I will be getting a larger, more dedicated clearing saw at some point, probably a used one as new ones cost a lot of money here.

My brother is a small machines mechanic, and has several. He has more or less promised me a refurbished and ported Jonsered RS 51, but he is about 1000 miles from here.....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back