Bubbles running down the trunk of poplar tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnmum

Reaction score
We have a large northwest poplar in our yard that I just noticed had, what I thought, was snow at the base of it. I investigated further and found it to be a large "pile" of bubbles that had accumulated at the base of the tree. It has been very dry in our area this spring, with little or no moisture to speak of for approximately 45 days. It is now raining heavily with accumulations of 4" expected by this evening. I know this isn't caused by spittle bugs or other such insects as the tree is perfectly healthy and just coming out in leaf now. You can actually see the bubbles running down the trunk of the tree and "piling" up on the ground. I'm attaching a couple of pictures to aid in diagnosis. My concern is for the health of the tree. It is part of a shelterbelt system and I want to ensure that, if it has some sort of disease or problem, we can stop it from spreading to the rest of the trees. Could it just be caused from the extremes? Dry to wet? Appreciate the help. Thanks

i would try to get some samples and get them down to a local experimental station or college for a positive id. I's real easy to say you have a slimemold/flux problem but until it it under a microscope it is all guessing. Positive id is the key to proper treatment. Good luck

The bubbles have no smell and it's not sap, it's just clear water with bubbles in it. It's running from quite high up in the tree and the bubbles are collecting at different branch points. Everything I've seen says that slime flux or wet wood originates with the sap?

Latest posts

Back