Bucket safety harness

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl066

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What kind of safety harnesses and lanyards do you guys use? we're trying to find one where we can tie into on the crane to ride up and hook a limb if we cant reach it instead of wearing a regular saddle what do you guys have in mind

What kind of safety harnesses and lanyards do you guys use? we're trying to find one where we can tie into on the crane to ride up and hook a limb if we cant reach it instead of wearing a regular saddle what do you guys have in mind

I just wear my saddle and run the lanyard thru the D rings and extend it to the ring on the boom. Works for me. When I want to get out it is an easy transition. (I am talking bucket like in the topic, but in the post you mention crane?)

I meant tie in out of the bucket if we cant reach high enough in it, to hook it, we tie in on the crane and ride up and hook it then come back down in the bucket. we usually wear our saddle, but a company had a incident real close to us. where the crane operator cabled up to soon before the cutter had it cut all the way, and it snapped off in front of his cut, and hit the boom on the bucket and flipped him out. luckily he was wearing a harness, but he is still messed up prety bad, his thumb was cut almost all the way off, and his ankle had to have pins and rods put in it. so we wanted to update our system a little bit to reduce the chances of having a bad fall out of the bucket, iff that were ever to hapen which we all hope it never does

I think OSHA says that bucket operators are supposed to wear a full fall harness, with shock absorber lanyard.

Naturally, a standard tree climber saddle does not comply. I think some of the fancy climbing rigs with upper body support can be used in both capacities.

Fortunately I can wear what I want as I am not an employee and osha does not regulate me in this capacity. My concern esp in my big picker is not to get flicked out of the bucket after being stuck under a branch, etc. What is convenient is likely to be used the most (saddle/lanyard).

The thought of hanging outside of the bucket by a ring on my back and unable because of that to make any attempts to get back in or on the bucket is a distasteful thought imo.

The thought of hanging outside of the bucket by a ring on my back and unable because of that to make any attempts to get back in or on the bucket is a distasteful thought imo.

I agree with you 100%. However, I would very much appreciate the hanging instead falling to the ground.:)

I agree with you 100%. However, I would very much appreciate the hanging instead falling to the ground.:)

that is my point Mench....rather be hangin from the front so as not to be lookin like you're being held in the air by the back of your shirt with your legs and arms helplessly flailing around.

that is my point Mench....rather be hangin from the front so as not to be lookin like you're being held in the air by the back of your shirt with your legs and arms helplessly flailing around.

yeah, nevermind that bull####. But I have to tell ya, getting throwed from a bucket apparently isn't as much fun as I would have thought. I don't use them very often though when I do I set up my climbing hitch and all just so if there is a situation there would be the least amount of ####ing around.
Of course I am surprised by the amount of folks I know who use buckets with no fall protection at all.

yeah, nevermind that bull####. But I have to tell ya, getting throwed from a bucket apparently isn't as much fun as I would have thought. I don't use them very often though when I do I set up my climbing hitch and all just so if there is a situation there would be the least amount of ####ing around.
Of course I am surprised by the amount of folks I know who use buckets with no fall protection at all.

There is a good degree of negative familiarity where one takes it for granted and comes to downplay the possibility for disaster. On my Hi Ranger if the righting cable breaks....you are spilled out just like a flat beer on the ground.

Vermeer sells "Bucket Belts" They are a harness without leg straps, what I use, works well enough, however I have never had the opportunity to test! Not that I want too!

a 2 ft lanyard its osha compliant and when getting out just leave it in the bucket its called fall protection for you osha techs

I use a Sala EXOFit at work, same as this one, http://www.gravitec.com/equipment/harnesses/dbi-sala-exofit-harness/har-ds-0110860/

side, back and chest D-Rings, padded and doesn't move around, I keep a spreader in the bucket with me, which is basically 2 snaps, with a large ring in the centre, attaches to the side D-rings and creates a bridge, I have it for bucket escape but could be used for what you're wanting.

2 options Buckingham makes a retrofit suspender that is rated for fall protection it has to be compatible with your saddle it creates a dorsal attachment point. or A new saddle like one of the saddles from petzl that has both a central tie in for climbing and a dorsal ring for fall arrest. A short piece of rope 60 foot in a bag to tie into the ball properly while attaching slings and decend to the bucket to cut. Just like jmack said leave the fall arrest lanyard in the bucket when you ride the ball or take it with you attaching the snap to the saddle. As far as getting flipped out of the basket one of the ground guys should be able to run the lower controls on the aerial lift and bring the bucket operator to the ground. Climbing back in with either dorsal or sternal fall arrest lanyard hanging from the bucket would be quite difficult.

Corey

Actually I wear the old style single belt with no shoulder or thigh straps , and have worked for the (GOV) via SEVENSON ENVIROMENTAL and the gear was safety checked and they were fine with that belt , so theres no clear answer there but I like the belt because its seems that you have more mobility..

Visualize! A climbing saddle is not a harness. Ask OSHA.
Jeff CTSP :)

You fall outta the bucket (lord knows why....you're a moron or equivalent) and your lanyard lets you drop a couple of feet and "broken back"?

You're flicked by being under a branch or a big limb lands on your fiberglass boom flexing it. The lanyard keeps you in the bucket.

Common sense here.

I asked you first...you visualize and tell me how you break your back?

Most people are not going to wear a lanyard attached to their back type of harness for obvious reasons. Next choice is a belt attached to the lanyard with no leg straps. I am going with the leg straps.

But sometimes I wear nothing at all. :jawdrop:

Actually I wear the old style single belt with no shoulder or thigh straps , and have worked for the (GOV) via SEVENSON ENVIROMENTAL and the gear was safety checked and they were fine with that belt , so theres no clear answer there but I like the belt because its seems that you have more mobility..

That sounds like the old school one with the sliding d on the back. I've had one on the truck for a while now, and just tried it today (usually I use the Buckingham bungee leg strap style one that came with the bucket ). I like it, and it seems safe enough with the short lanyard. Still drags the pants down my skinny azz in this hot weather.. but I'm sure you have the same problem treeclimber. :)

Last edited:
You fall outta the bucket (lord knows why....you're a moron or equivalent) and your lanyard lets you drop a couple of feet and "broken back"?

You're flicked by being under a branch or a big limb lands on your fiberglass boom flexing it. The lanyard keeps you in the bucket.

Common sense here.

I asked you first...you visualize and tell me how you break your back?

Most people are not going to wear a lanyard attached to their back type of harness for obvious reasons. Next choice is a belt attached to the lanyard with no leg straps. I am going with the leg straps.

But sometimes I wear nothing at all. :jawdrop:

Do it how-ever you want TV, in the meantime, I will comply.
Jeff :)

Back