buckeye trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty12

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Soon the hot weather will be here and the dust and mosquitos will be sticking to us.

I have a question>

I need to thin out some large buckeye trees. they are crowding some nice chestnut oaks and I want to give the space to the oaks.

Does anyone have experience with this wood?

The trees I have cut down so far were smaller, but the wood seemed to be pretty brittle when green anyway.

I dont want to waste time and fuel milling these trees if the wood is junk. I wasted last Sat. on a 35 inch burr oak which fell over in the ice storms this winter...milled off a couple slabs and it was rotten. I counted 175 rings on the tree. There goes my plans for table tops down the drain! Now the squirrels have a nice flat spot in the woods to cut nuts.

Dern squirrels.

So what's the deal? Nobody sawed no buckeye?

I have some. While I don't plan on cutting any--I will saw them out if they fall over. And trees do fall over out on the ridge.

I did a google on them. apparently buckeye is used for making prosthetics because it is light and resists splitting.

Maybe I should get some stickered in case I make a bad cut some day!

Probably make 5x5 cuts..

That should cover the socket if you cut it just below the knee. LOL Not sure if quartersawn would look better in shorts though.

I tried to split some green one time. It cannot be done! Period!

You'll drive your wedges in the round like nails. Then try and get them out.
Maybe a hydraulic splitter would, I did not have one at the time.

Funny thing though. I had to leave it alone because I could not split it and a year or two later, I split it without so much trouble.

Latest posts

Back