Bucking Large Australian Hardwood!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know a fellow who 3D prints custom file handles.

I have some big saws and long bars I got for dry euc, but at some point the bar is too long and requires too much leverage to lever through the wood. One cant make the chain aggressive enough to self feed that many teeth without it stalling... I think thats why Aussies run short bars. I also heard to reduce heat buildup...and it dulls chains fast, who wants to sharpen 42" of cutters?

That being said, I don't like humping a big saw up and over big logs so I tend to run 30"-36" - .404 chain.
25” bars seem to be the norm here on 90cc saws. You can cut most trees you’d come across, it balances nicely and it’s still got great power in the cut.

The owner of this mill I’m cutting at has a 500i after his 660 got stolen. He misses the torque / grunt they have, he keeps coming to pick mine up and doesn’t want to put it down in a hurry LOL. I’m going to ask to have a go on it and see how it compares. It will probably be underwhelming in this wood, but we’ll see! It may convert me…

still got great power in the cut.

This right here, that you even have to say that a 90cc saw still has great power in the cut on a 25" bar is like saying your 500hp Ute still has great power for freeway driving, or your bass boat with quad 400hp outboards on the back still gets up on plane just fine. Around here people put 25" bars on 60cc saws, Australian hardwood is another world entirely.

I know a fellow who 3D prints custom file handles.

I have some big saws and long bars I got for dry euc, but at some point the bar is too long and requires too much leverage to lever through the wood. One cant make the chain aggressive enough to self feed that many teeth without it stalling... I think thats why Aussies run short bars. I also heard to reduce heat buildup...and it dulls chains fast, who wants to sharpen 42" of cutters?

That being said, I don't like humping a big saw up and over big logs so I tend to run 30"-36" - .404 chain.
Myself & others have run 80cc saws with 16" bars for Aus hardwoods, incl in hardwood that was variously very dry, dirty, & had quartz or other stone particle inclusions-apart from chain wear, making a cut just on dusk revealed the contamination.

Back out with the 660. What an awesome saw

I love my 660. I opened up the muffler on mine with a 3/4" pipe. As I used to say of my '69 GTO, it'll pass anything except a gas station!

So envious of you guys in Oz with your Jurassic hardwoods. Any of 'em good for woodworking?

I love my 660. I opened up the muffler on mine with a 3/4" pipe. As I used to say of my '69 GTO, it'll pass anything except a gas station!

So envious of you guys in Oz with your Jurassic hardwoods. Any of 'em good for woodworking?
Yes, lots of wood turners out here, not as many carvers though.

Yes your USA 660’s have tiny outlets don’t they. We didn’t have the same restrictions put on them out here :)

Latest posts

Back