Bucking Large Australian Hardwood!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see the bar lengths you guys recommend for powerheads, like a 25" bar on a 660, and to my west coast USA softwood mind it sounds ridiculously overgunned. Using a firehose to fill a teacup or a flamethrower to roast a marshmallow. I see stuff like that and look who's making the recommendation, or where they're from.

That Australian hardwood is no joke at all.

I see the bar lengths you guys recommend for powerheads, like a 25" bar on a 660, and to my west coast USA softwood mind it sounds ridiculously overgunned. Using a firehose to fill a teacup or a flamethrower to roast a marshmallow. I see stuff like that and look who's making the recommendation, or where they're from.

You think a 25 is big on a 660? WTF?

25” bars are standard on 660’s here in Australia, beyond that it seems to be more commonly 088/880 territory if you have one.
With the HO oiler (AU pt# but my dealer back then was able to order it) is the only way to go with bars over 36 on the 066/661 , imo. I was burning tips on the 42 in big Eucalyptus until it was installed.
the 066 red eye I have would smoke an 084 in the same wood with same bar length…tried it, side by side…

With the HO oiler (AU pt# but my dealer back then was able to order it) is the only way to go with bars over 36 on the 066/661 , imo. I was burning tips on the 42 in big Eucalyptus until it was installed.
Interesting, even with the H/O oiler in this dry dusty wood it’s not giving out enough. I blame it on the stupidly small oil hole in the bar. I may enlargen it, It’s half the size of the old ES bars.

Interesting, even with the H/O oiler in this dry dusty wood it’s not giving out enough. I blame it on the stupidly small oil hole in the bar. I may enlargen it, It’s half the size of the old ES bars.
I drilled mine out a long time ago.
old, dry Euc is the worst…I gave up on chisel chain and only use semi on that stuff…like cutting petrified wood.

I drilled mine out a long time ago.
Made a big difference I presume? Can you take a picture of yours? Did you maintain that angle they have in them? Did you just keep the position of the hole and make it bigger or did it need moving to stay in line with the oil galley?

Tom is this to be firewood? Many people heat with wood stoves where you live?
Made a big difference I presume? Can you take a picture of yours? Did you maintain that angle they have in them? Did you just keep the position of the hole and make it bigger or did it need moving to stay in line with the oil galley?

I think @pioneerguy600 mentioned this recently in another thread.

If I remember? a 1/8" bit and angled towards the tip so the chips get carried away from the oil hole

Made them flow the same as the older bars that already had bigger holes. I know…oil pressure should Trump volume but in my case, and in the bigger wood, it worked. I never smoked another tip.
your hardest euch is a lot harder than what we have in the US :p

pics added above…

If I remember? a 1/8" bit and angled towards the tip so the chips get carried away from the oil hole
Yes mate firewood, he sells it!

Jerry I tried searching but the function was useless, any link to that specific thread you started about enlarging bar oil hole? I remember running my 076 with 36” bar, the log had a mist of oil over the back side of it it, that’s what I want lol

Jerry I tried searching but the function was useless, any link to that specific thread you started about enlarging bar oil hole? I remember running my 076 with 36” bar, the log had a mist of oil over the back side of it it, that’s what I want lol
I think I just used a 1/8" masonry bit which is carbide tipped. I did grind the bit to sharpen it up a tad from original.

Thanks mate, I took a different approach using a dremel as my drill bits would skip. Hopefully it will use a tank of oil to a tank of fuel now and I can control that by reducing the oiler if necessary, rather than have this stupid small hole restrict it. I bet it’s california we have to thank for that…

Old bar round hole and small tapered one over it for positioning:
IMG_4938.jpeg

Matching it up:
IMG_4940.jpeg

CompleteIMG_4939.jpeg

Yup.

I found it.

"Newer Stihl bars came with a very reduced size oil port hole to the chain , one of mine was almost closed off with paint right from the supplier. I drill all the new bars with a 1/8" bit while angling the hole so that the passing drive links will carry most of the grit and debris that get into the channel right on past the oil port hole.Each of my own Stihl saws gets the oil pump set at max and left there, most use a tank of oil for a tank of fuel and that is fine for me."

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/ms362-oiling-adjustment.372087/#post-8167783

I learned freehand filing too. Used to use a piece of hardwood branch for a file holder. Jamb the file tang into the branch's pith.

I still freehand but it's easier for me to be consistent on cutter angle with the holder, and also not getting too much hook.
Some of my files still have wood branch handles maybe 40 or more years old, I have purchased some modern Oregon wooden ones I like more than plastic ones. I have rather large hands and the Oregon file handles are of the largest diameter I have come across, fit my hands the best of store bought handles. My mom`s wooden mop handles often lost 4" off the top ends which had a nicely rounded over top end back before the hollow metal handles came along. I think they were a bit thicker than one inch, still have a few in the drawers under the bench, like most things I don`t throw much away. There is files in there from the 50`s that might end up as a Damascus knife blade some day, 50 -60 lbs of drill bits also awating their time for forging. I can buy the handles separately from a business here but they are the same as the ones below,

81KyT+kLg7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I know a fellow who 3D prints custom file handles.

I have some big saws and long bars I got for dry euc, but at some point the bar is too long and requires too much leverage to lever through the wood. One cant make the chain aggressive enough to self feed that many teeth without it stalling... I think thats why Aussies run short bars. I also heard to reduce heat buildup...and it dulls chains fast, who wants to sharpen 42" of cutters?

That being said, I don't like humping a big saw up and over big logs so I tend to run 30"-36" - .404 chain.

Latest posts

Back