bucking table ideas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hey,

Looking to build a new bucking table. The one I got is pretty flimsy and not well made. I want something that will hold up well and has proper spacing for cutting logs and slabs into proper firewood length. I've seen some pics of some of your setups, but I can't find them anywhere. So whatchagot?

Make sure you spell bucking with a B and not an F. I couldn’t imagine the results you get with that mistake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I built the frame out of 4" x 6"; 3/4 treated ply on sides; 4" x 6" on edge top frame.
The sacrificial cutting bench is cantilevered so my feet do not hit framework.
The deck shown is decked over so large rounds can be maneuvered to noodle.
I replace the sacrificial bench about once a year.
The second row of holes helps position larger logs with push or pull using peavey.
The sacrificial section is 10' long, the table deck is 8' wide.
There are angled uprights. I lift the logs over, lower logs, and back out.
Frame is through bolted.
Plywood keeps from racking, screwed and using fender washers.
Frame is seven years old.
I also add one more 10' x 4" x 6" for a deeper cutting table.

There is a lot of bark and crap build up inside the deck. I move them with extension forks to clean up. The one in the fore ground thru fork pockets in the side, the other from the back. Supports to lift it should be designed in, or some other way to move it, or access under it. I have to move mine to get log trucks out, and then I clean up. Smaller might be better. The longer one, I push logs forward with the forklift, and then load more. The other one, loading less is best, as sometimes logs roll off the front. When I do have a buddy help, I never load the decks until he moves away from the splitter. If a log rolls off, I chain up and drag it out with the quad. then pick the log up with lift.IMG_9979.jpgIMG_3266.jpg

Awesome. Yes, Sandhill’s rig is what I saw before. I hadn’t thought about space for the feet and junk falling through. I have some rollers i was thinking about using, as well as the right height for putting a wheelbarrow in there so the pieces drop right in as I cut them.
this will be for falloff slabs from my sawmill, so there will always be a flat edge that could easily be pulled along the rollers. Hmm. Maybe do it so I can work it both ways, for moving the slab between each cut will waste time. Hmm.

I got an entire load of some small stuff, and often cut two at a time with 18"bar. Sometimes three at a time.
You want a good front lip and a clean out space behind it for chips to fall thru. If they build up the lip is nonfunctional.
When you touch a chain to it the wood may jump and come at you. So always start your cut tip high, power head low, to pull into the front edge, then rotate to level.
When rounds are thick enough and kerf binding occurs, a plastic wedge can replaced in the kerf, and with caution, the cut completed.
If your cutting slabs binding may be an issue.
You may want to design a hinged saw mount like the Wallenstien processor, and move the wood, advancing it with a pulp hook or something.
Just a thought.
If the cants are flat side down, kerf binding may not factor in.
Just some thoughts.
Just have to build one and work through modifications that work for you.
I am very surprised mine has held up. I've dropped some logs on it a few times. I can stack a lot on the eight foot one, 1/3 cord maybe, 1/4 is easier and safer as not as high. The other is longer and unnecessarily so.
Logs get tangled up more loading it.
You have kids around, so be careful. Logs can roll off the front. Your still working a log pile. They have hit my SuperSplit dozens of times when loading it. Mostly the tires near the engine. When advancing logs it can sometimes be dangerous. Anything questionable I add some blocks up against the front lip for added height, and work the pile from the side. I use two peaveys, one on each deck. Sometimes I'll wedge one as a stop, and work the other end of the log, mostly bigger logs.
On my set up, there is no place to move out of the way, working between the deck and splitter. I never try and stop a questionable log with brute force.

I just reread my post.
When cutting keep you body and head to the side of the kerf at all times.
It is good practice, a good habit.
If you use wedges to complete a cut, you will send a wedge flying at some point.
And you will eventually get abruptly reminded.
Logs shift, and wedges fall into the chain.

Not sure, but his set up needs some thought...
A lot of videos show lifting logs off the ground with a grapple, cutting and dropping rounds on the ground.
I guess it's quick. Initially.
Edit: I'm thinking a three point euro style processor with stand alone power, hydraulic log deck, and built-in outfeed conveyor.
I'd modify the four-way wedge, making the wing a shelf (I don't understand the popularity any of these delta wing designs), splitting off the bottom like I did with my modified TW-6 wedge, and pulling the top pieces forward to resplit. A type of simple box wedge idea. And a tractor with fel for odd jobs and snow clearing.
Seventy grand ought to cover it. Add a pole barn for a couple grand more.
My present log deck will have to survive a few more years.

OK, I spent some time this morning building/assembling some parts of it. Thanks for your ideas. I'll do the big reveal when it's all finished. Top is pretty much done, I just need to get it to the site, assemble and fasten it together, and put some legs at the right height. We'll see how it works!

OK, I spent some time this morning building/assembling some parts of it. Thanks for your ideas. I'll do the big reveal when it's all finished. Top is pretty much done, I just need to get it to the site, assemble and fasten it together, and put some legs at the right height. We'll see how it works!
I saw the previous thread about these racks and using PT lumber seems such a waste. Of course, if you're making money, then it's readily available, easy to use and will last. So I do understand But I was wondering if you had enough dunnage logs of White Oak to mill your own timbers?

Back