Bugs in my lumber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aggiewoodbutchr said:
I'm 99% sure this is the one.

thats exactly what i saw yesterday while splitting wood. I was chopping up a fairly large old madrone that had fallen a while back. It was easy to split, but occasionally i would come across those guys deap in the heartwood. I used a little stick to pry them out of their homes whenever I could. I didnt think much of it and threw the chopped madrone with the rest of my wood. Was this a mistake? I dont want to use any chemicals on my woodpile. I guess I can remove the pieces that I just added, but i dont think those borers will cause any harm to the rest of the pile. They didnt seem to be making very fast progress boring through the madrone. here is another pic of one (sorry kinda gross and big)

3066002.jpg

here is what Cornell has to say about them-
http://www.entomology.cornell.edu/Extension/DiagnosticLab/IDLFS/FirewoodInsects/FirewoodInsects.html

That looks different than the ones I had. My amigos are flathead wood borers. I found in my research that they will most likely leave on their own when the wood gets below a certian MC.

Back