Build a mill like a Logosol M7

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well shoot, now we gone and done it! My woman was reading over my shoulder and found out the M7 wouldn't handle a 36" log. And she is gonna make me quit doing that. Damn
Rodney

railroad tie cabin

I will be trying to build a small cabin after the snow melts using railroad ties, some of them creosote treated. My question is, if I were to make rabbet joints on them using something like the logosol loghouse moulder would the airborne creosote be much of a threat? I read that creosote logs are fairly safe after sitting for ten or more years, but I'm afraid that cutting through some two hundred ties would be dangerous for my lungs since creosote is carcinogenic. I also want to cut away one entire side of the tie to hopefully reveal a better surface for the inside of the cabin. Obviously this isn't the best wood to be working with, but it would be great to make something worthwhile out of these free materials.

Last edited:
My freind has a Logosol M7 and it is very nice indeed, the only downfall it has, is it cannot handle very big logs, so I took the bull by the horns and made this,

http://www.bagpipeworks.co.uk/rollermatic__railomatic_chain.htm

She can handle 40 inch logs with ease, no need for lifting, just sit her next to the tree and away you go, stand or sit at one end and winch the saw towards yourself, out of the dust and noise, a twist of the handles on top of each post and go again, I have never looked back since I did it.
You can put several logs side by side and cut the lot in one go, it has so many posibilities, you can even tilt her over to one side to do quarter cutting.

I like the rail system, looks relatively sturdy. It seems like it would be pretty hard to beat the rigity of a Alaskan style mill, like your roller matic. Then again your mistakes could just get magnified. Perhaps I'll just use the ladder as a straight edge everytime.

Not moving the log sure seems like a win. Do you like the railo matic or the rollo matic better?

I definetly like the rollermatic mechanism because it is the smallest and most compact solution for cutting timber I have seen, but I'm sure there are certain drawbacks compared to a rail system or band saw system wth the smaller kerf. Has anyone seen this product yet? http://jober.qc.ca/ I think it's by Jonsered, not sure but the Beaver proffessional barker looks pretty snazzy too.

m7 owner

To answer your question. I do own a logosol, it is designed to mill up to 16 ft logs weighing 1000lbs or less. The mill weighs 100 lbs. It is alumnium. For large diameter logs you can turn the mill on its side over the log and quarter the log then load up a quarter and mill it. I saw one mill on ebay a while back that was based on the logosol. It was made of steel. If you have access to "free" steel then you should have no ploblem building one. The lifting mechanism is not to complicated.

Latest posts

Back