Build more fence or move to the country? A**hat neighbors...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is it about stacked firewood that brings me problems with my neighbors? I'd just resoved an issue with the neighbor to the north and it had been quiet for a 6 weeks when the neighbor to the south leaves a message on my machine Friday night- "could you please not get too carried away with stacking wood along the alley? if something happens to me I don't want there to be problems with my kids" The stacked wood in question is at least 15' from her rear property line. I fail to see what the issue is... her on the other hand put up a fence a few years back that crosses onto my property a good foot - foot and a half and just shrugged that off... "it's the only place we could get the posts in" GRR... I think her fence is going to move now and in it's place a 6' privacy fence.

We've really thought about moving lately, but I've got 25 years invested in this place and just got everything the way we want it.

A$$hat is the correct terminology for that type of individual. I feel for you bro. Play your cards tight. When she complains to a city official, have her fence surveyed and make sure they send her the bill. That should cool her mouth.

Not only is her fence way onto my property (I have recent survey that shows that) the same fence encroaches across a city ally on both sides of her lot. I've been quiet but one call to the city is all it would take.

A$$hat is the correct terminology for that type of individual. I feel for you bro. Play your cards tight. When she complains to a city official, have her fence surveyed and make sure they send her the bill. That should cool her mouth.

Make the call.

We'd just got on speaking terms again after many years (years ago she screamed at my wife and kids because I had installed the same screen door as she had???? jeeze Menards only stocked a couple styles at the time)

But speaking terms are bad with the kind of neighbors I have, then they think they can start making demands......

You should have never allowed the fence to be on your land.The sooner you move it the better.As for the wood, what is her concern?If it's on your land it's none of her business.Also, I'd block her number so she couldn't call me again.Who would want to be on speaking terms with someone like that?

We'd just got on speaking terms again after many years (years ago she screamed at my wife and kids because I had installed the same screen door as she had???? jeeze Menards only stocked a couple styles at the time)

But speaking terms are bad with the kind of neighbors I have, then they think they can start making demands......

The sad part is that "you can't fix stupid". Once it starts, you will never be able to turn it off. Our neighborhood went
from six house to 106 houses in the last 10 years. We've been annexed by the local village. Our neighbors have been
pretty quiet, but we know that will eventually change. We're looking for 150 acres "off the radar".

Be careful. Some places have "grandfather clauses". If someone builds on YOUR property, and you don't take immediate
action, you are required to leave said structure intact. Make sure your bases are covered.

I left town livin' near 30 years ago, and never looked back.
It doesn't work for me, I just can't play the game.

I'm choosy about who I call a friend, and just 'cause you're a neighbor don't make us friends, or even friendly for that matter... and you sure the heck ain't borrowing something from me just 'cause you live next door. If I've got something to say, you're gonna' hear it, and I really don't care if your feelings get hurt... and if I don't like you, or your wife, or your kids, you're gonna' be real clear on that also.

The last place I lived in town the neighbor had a party one winter night and several of the guests parked their vehicles on my yard... one of them driving over a small tree I'd planted earlier in the year. I used the front bumper of my 4x4 to move those vehicles into the middle of the street. It wasn't pretty, and as you can imagine the town cops were called to the scene... where they found me sitting on the tailgate with a shotgun. When they questioned me I told them I wasn't sayin' anything ... but if they planned on arresting me they better do the same to those drunks out in the street gettin' behind the wheel and startin' up them cars or there'd be real problems.

I moved into the country the next spring.

What is it about stacked firewood that brings me problems with my neighbors? I'd just resoved an issue with the neighbor to the north and it had been quiet for a 6 weeks when the neighbor to the south leaves a message on my machine Friday night- "could you please not get too carried away with stacking wood along the alley? if something happens to me I don't want there to be problems with my kids" The stacked wood in question is at least 15' from her rear property line. I fail to see what the issue is... her on the other hand put up a fence a few years back that crosses onto my property a good foot - foot and a half and just shrugged that off... "it's the only place we could get the posts in" GRR... I think her fence is going to move now and in it's place a 6' privacy fence.

We've really thought about moving lately, but I've got 25 years invested in this place and just got everything the way we want it.

I don't understand her quote. What does this mean, problems with her kids?

If only taken in the context you wrote it, it sounds like a threat.

Like, she doing you a favor?

I'd give her a chance to get her fence moved, say six weeks, and in the same conversation, I'd let her know you intend to let the city know about the encroachments. Fact is, others may want to use the alley.

DAMNED if I'd be chased off of 25 years of family and history by a neighbor who is that selfish. Double Damned if I'd go the the expense of buying/installing privacy fence.

( you could offer to go halfsies on a new privacy fence installed on HER land and not the city's, but I wouldn't do the work or let her family install it. Pro install with permit, or face the city.)

As well, be careful she doesn't petition the city to vacate the alley. In fact, you could ask the same question of your city, and when they want to know why, you have a segway to code enforcement. ( I do a little Right of Way in my real carreer)

Be careful. Some places have "grandfather clauses". If someone builds on YOUR property, and you don't take immediate
action, you are required to leave said structure intact. Make sure your bases are covered.

Yep, this is a concern. It is just a cheap 3 or 4' high wire mesh fence tied to pound in metal fence posts.

Her A/C condensor is a good couple feet onto my property but that was there when we moved in 25 years ago.

Yep, this is a concern. It is just a cheap 3 or 4' high wire mesh fence tied to pound in metal fence posts.

Her A/C condensor is a good couple feet onto my property but that was there when we moved in 25 years ago.

All that could be "accidentally" wiped out by some careless operation of a tractor or something.

I'm kinda fond of the old oilfield saying."it's easier to get forgivness than it is to get permission" If it all got wiped out, it could then be put back on their property.

You're just too nice.

Down here where I live? My insurance adjuster would have taken care of the AC and the fence already for me..... They look for every opportunity to drop you, (imagine that, and Insurance company that doesn't want your money. Beach+Hurricanes= Insurers who don't want you you find the Delta on insurance costs)

You're just too nice.

I know.

But part of the reason I don't ##### too loud is the wood that is stacked along that ally is not actually on my property, it's on the other side of the ally on the local quarry's property (along their chain link fence). Now the quarry couldn't give a rat's a** about that, but if somebody starts calling and complaining about it, things could change.

Just make sure your wood pile doesn't start dwindling down now! I hate neighbors. Mine complain about the noise of the saw and me splitting. They get over it! :mad:

the wood that is stacked along that ally is not actually on my property, it's on the other side of the ally on the local quarry's property

Make sure that it doesn't create a liability issue for them. Get their OK in writing as a CYA.

So she's complaining about wood you have on someone else's property? Tell her to keep her kids from trespaasing on the quarry's property....or you could push em all in. D-bags like this have a way of propagating worse than a mulberry tree.

I guess im lucky to have cool neighbors all around me they never complain if i have a truck in the street or driveway.

I guess im lucky to have cool neighbors all around me they never complain if i have a truck in the street or driveway.

I'm lucky too. My 69 acres are at the end of a dead end dirt road. Nobody ever complains about anything. I stack my wood where I want it and can run my saws and equipment anytime I want to.

Back