Building a business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husky187

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all, I've recently been trying for quite some time now to get all the information under my belt about starting an actual tree removal business. Now, I know that there are many threads on this but I just can't seem to narrow everything down to a straight answer and just wanted to create a thread to address exactly what is necessary. It seems that many people say to get with a reputable company locally to learn but for me that isn't an option at this moment.

I want to know what is the best way to go about getting into the business, over a year ago I started with just bucking felled logs in the woods, hauling them out and then splitting for firewood and some of the things I've seen people say that having a firewood business should be one of the last things to come. I have been looking into actually climbing trees on my own and felling logs and hauling them away, nothing huge, but something manageable for one person, and I've read threads where people say it could be done (come-along, rigging,etc.).

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction as far as equipment necessary and techniques. I'm no dummy and constantly read on the matter as far as which ropes to use, types of trees, best felling methods and so on. I have a full time job and would like to start this on the side and take some money each pay check and set it aside as a fund for this, almost like an expensive hobby. I know that I won't be able to buy everything in one shot, but I'd like to accrue things over time and continually build. Also, what certifications would look better when approaching clients so they know I'm not some bum off the street.

Like I said I'm no dummy and am willing to work hard to get this going the right way, I have a degree in mathematics as well as business so the learning curve for techniques won't totally baffle me, it's just the lack of experience I have at the moment.

Thanks in advance to any help.

So you want to start a tree removal business, but have minimal skills. Better put on your brass ball cup.

From the skills side, if you don't know how to climb, you need to stick to the small stuff (<30'). It's easy to put a rope in and fall it. Having said that, you need to learn how to fall, how to climb, operate a powersaw properly, how to properly drag brush, how to effectively rake and do clean up. These are not innate skills.

From an equipment side, you will need something to transport brush (pickup/trailer), powersaws, handsaws, rakes, blower etc and once you learn how to climb, climbing gear. Stay away from bigger equipment like chip trucks or chippers until you figure out what the hell you are doing.

If you're going to be legit, you'll need insurance and worker's comp.

If you're not going to work for someone else get some training, befriend someone from another company who is looking for some side job cash and is willing to show you how to do this business. It's not rocket science (it's harder because there are more variables) but walking onto someone's yard having sold a job (cheap) with no clue on how to do the job is going to make it tough to get the second job. You need to learn how the job gets done, what to look for and tricks of the trade. Stuff you get with experience, not off the Internet.

When I've done side work, I've always found that I make more money with less wear and tear on the "old" body doing hedges, and pruning of small trees and shrubs.

As far as Certs go, the big one would be ISA Certified Arborist, but you won't even be qualified to write the entrance exam until you've had several years of experience. You could try taking some hort courses at the local community college.

Stay low and slow.

I would think a good place to start would be to hit up another tree guy in your area and since you are only available part time, ask to be a groundie for them on the weekend day. You will learn a lot just being there, and you can learn how you want to run your operation (or how not to run it) once you get going. As mentioned above, I would think it would be difficult and not very safe to try to get jobs without knowing how to do them.

+1 on what BC Westcoast said. Also, you are a bum off the street. There are a unique set of skills that you need to acquire in order to make a go of it. If you want to try and learn by yourself, a future of great pain and misery await you. Find someone who is willing to show you the proper skills so you don't kill yourself.

Latest posts

Back