Building a Circle Mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a local friend that has built two bandmills from scratch and they both worked very well. Of course he did learn from the 1st build what to put in his 2nd build. I would consider as suggested to build a band mill , You wont be sorry doing so.

Ok guys heres some photos to look at. It isnt a flashy machine, its pretty simple in design, no it isnt painted and I have started using it so the chances of it seeing paint are slim to none lol ! Most people online have told me if you use it before you paint it chances are it will never get paint !

There is also a pic of some small logs and my log hauler (the 2001 350 Honda fourtrax 4x4 atv !).

http://photos.yahoo.com/darryl_86 go to the 2006/09/09 album to see the pics.

Darryl

I agree 100 percent with the comment about the paint.Did you build the mill from a set of plans or did you just go from various other designs and combine them? Good looking job.

I pretty much built it out of my head I did see a Hudson 18 inch oscar in person prior to building this. I was actually going to buy the Hudson, but am since glad I built a mill ! My brothers neighbour bought a Hudson and had some blade breaking problems with it in the begining and he finds the track flexes a lot too. My mill cost about $1200 Canadian to build whereas the Hudson would have cost me $3500 Canadian.

Originally I was going to buy the plans for the simple saw, but then I looked at it and realized I could make it simpler !

Everything to build the mill besides the steel and the 2 F clamps (for log dogs) was purchased at Priincess Auto even the 6.5 HP engine !

The Mill cuts straight no matter how fast I push the head through the log so I am quite happy. But if I do build another Saw Mill it will be a small portable Circle mill that I can haul with my atv ! Im confident I can build one !

The more pics the better. Ive got a pile of iron that one day will hopefully be a bandmill. Ive been debating on whether or not to buy a set of plans. Problem is that there are not many bandmills around here or ones that I am aware of. Closest dealer is about two hours away. Thanks.

newfie--what is the outside dia of the drive wheels???? reason--because from what i understand--if the drive wheeels are under 19 inch dia--youll be breaking the bands--they dont like tight circles---they dont break instantly--but after a while--and with no guards--watch out!!!!!!

Newfie

Take a look at my bandmill in the post about couple of pics of bandmill.
This mill was made in Arkansas and cost about $4000.00. Thats trailer and all.
It has a 9HP Honda and cuts 21" logs. They also make one for 24" and 30" for more money.

Larry:):):)

Outside diameter of the wheels are about 19 inches. I have had 2 blades snap without any issues. I ran them while blunt and they developed stress cracks and then snapped. The trailor fenders worked just as I had planned and stopped the band from doing any damage other than making a racket !

L Wagner
Nice looking mill, mine will cut about a 20 inch log. do you have much use on you mill yet? I have only cut about 70 logs with my home made rig !

Back