building steel chipper top

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctkiteboarding

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
hey guys ,, I'm tired of the wood top on my international dump and i need to be able to remove it so i can load topsoil and other materials ,,,

so I've decide to have a steel top built and I'm abit concerned about the strength,,,

the shop wants to us 2*2 square tube and 5/16 sheet metal,, I'm thinking the 2*2 will not hold up well to the removal and reinstall process that will happen regularly, i do not want it to get twisted and then not mount cleanly,

has anyone done this before ,,, the top will be on a 10' dump body on my s1800

So a mesh tarp top is not an option? I also haul mulch and dirt, but I made some hoop/bows to keep it crowned for more room. Not as much room as a squared off box, but definitely lighter...

weight is not a problem , im using wood sides w/ mesh to close it in but its not the best option , the truck is 26k gvw so heavy is fine ,, im worried that 2*2 will twist or bend when we romove it, then the top will not fit,, what are most chipper tops made out of ?

i have excavators and a 12 ton crane available so removal is not an problem ,, we are going to use 2*3 stock so I'm sure it will be stronger then the 2*2

2 x 3 is way too big, we make ours of 2 x 2 @ 1/8 and have no problems they are mated to the truck on a 2 x 3 piece of angle that provides a lot of stiffness, just make sure that the hook point of the box is braced to at least 3 of the 2 x2 's with a stringer running lengthwise (front to back of truck). make it so it picks in one spot and making sure it comes off easily and clean will help keep it from bending.

thanks,,local guy welded,, 1500 plus steel , i was Gopher, it took 5 nite's after work including the paint, im happy w/ it , we'll chip into it in the am

Latest posts

Back