Bulk Bar Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abohac

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm tired of paying top dollor for bar oil by the gallon. Anyone know where I can buy bulk bar oil? 55 gal is a little excessive but I'd consider it. Would prefer 35 gal.

my brother works at a napa store and he said he could order a 55 gallon drum.

I had him get me some in 2.5 gallon for 18 bucks

A Stihl dealer should be able to get drums.

For inexpensive bar oil, go to Walmart and buy the Poulan stuff in the green jug. The last I bought was $5.17/gallon. The last inexpensive Stihl bar oil I bought was $8/gallon.

Last edited:
A plug for the competition

One time I saw in Madsens they listed a 55 gallon drum of the stuff. Shipping would be a bit high, and they wanted a deposit on the drum. Madsens1 is the website, but the catalog is a .pdf file....

One time, I was even considering ordering a pallet of motion lotion from baileys. That would take awhile to use up!!! 240 gallons.... Egads!:jawdrop:

-Pat

One time I saw in Madsens they listed a 55 gallon drum of the stuff. Shipping would be a bit high, and they wanted a deposit on the drum. Madsens1 is the website, but the catalog is a .pdf file....

One time, I was even considering ordering a pallet of motion lotion from baileys. That would take awhile to use up!!! 240 gallons.... Egads!:jawdrop:

-Pat

I get Madsen's catalog but don't remember seeing it there.

my brother works at a napa store and he said he could order a 55 gallon drum.

I had him get me some in 2.5 gallon for 18 bucks

I was hoping to get it a little cheaper if I went through all the trouble to handle the drum etc. Thought maybe around $4. I might be dreaming.

A Stihl dealer should be able to get drums.

For inexpensive bar oil, go to Walmart and buy the Poulan stuff in the green jug. The last I bought was $5.17/gallon. The last inexpensive Stihl bar oil I bought was $8/gallon.

I second this one! I have been using the Poulan stuff from Wally World for a little over a year now, and I havent had any problems with bar wear or anything else. Works just as good as anything else on the market IMO, and at 5 bucks and some change it wont break the piggy bank to stock up once in awhile.

Last winter at Rural King

I was paying 3.59 a gallon then it went up to 3.99. Earlier this summer it was up to 4.29 I was in there last week and it was 7.99.. Holy crap.. Don't they realize a barrel of crude has slipped back down? Glad I had 5 or six gallons bought up.

Hubby bought some this summer at our local TSC store. It was $11 and $ 10 a gallon. Then he found some at Walmart , the Poulon, for about $ 5 a gallon. I did not hear him complaining at all about quality.
I was sure happy he found a better deal :)

I was using the Walmart Poulan bar oil...less than 6 a gal this weekend on a bunch of stumps. The chain was well oiled after every cut ...just wish I knew what viscosity it is cause I'd like to use it this winter too.

Hubby bought some this summer at our local TSC store. It was $11 and $ 10 a gallon. Then he found some at Walmart , the Poulon, for about $ 5 a gallon. I did not hear him complaining at all about quality.
I was sure happy he found a better deal :)

I've heard a lot of people say that stuff was pretty good. I used to use the TSC stuff all the time but switched to Husky or J-Red (don't really know why). I am sick of paying that much for bar oil though. When I figured out how much oil we used last year, a drum wouldn't be out of line (might take a couple of years to use it up or I could sell a little).

Bulk bar oil that isnt hydraulic or motor oil, this intrigues me. I have family that works in Refinery labs testing different oils for durability and what-not. Thay deal with it by the train car before it goes out. I'll have to ask about this next time I see them.

For most of my saws bars I use the Poulan Pro ( red stuff ) in a black jug since it seems to be a lower viscosity than the green Poulan oil from Wal-Mart. I get mine at Orschelns Farm and Home Store. Usually it is $1 cheaper than Wal-Mart. I cant find on the jug that it is a Winter mix and cant find anything on the green jug that says Summer mix. In the Summer I go through more of the red stuff but not to the point that the reservior is ever empty.

A buddy of mine uses the walmart stuff just as I do, and he thins his down for the winter by adding a half of cup of diesel to a gallon. Me, I just keep my bar oil warm by leaving it in the house when I know I am going out to cut the next day. Wrap an old towel around the jug when I leave and it seems to stay thin enough until mid day. Personally, I dont think it gets cold enough here in the winter to worry about it, nothing like what you guys have going on up north.Plus, I cant help but wonder if the diesel fuel is good for any seals or plastics in the oiler assembly.
Anyone thin their oil for winter, and what do you use?

Latest posts

Back