burn out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy4trees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Haven't heard much about burn out in this business as most get physically worn out before they lose it mentally. I think as a society we push ourselves too hard, or maybe we allow ourselves to be pushed by the system.
I would suggest that someone is burned out when they lose the desire to do the work, which for me is climbing trees, and are just going through the motions with no enhtusiasm or joy.

I can see how climbing big trees everyday could eventually get to you, especially for someone that started as a kid, lets say cutting up big piles of firewood at age 12.

I enjoy breaking the work up. We plow snow when it snows and usually take the real cold weather off, as well as rain and then we do about 4-5 weeks of gutter cleaning in the fall and 2-3 weeks in late spring, which I appreciate cause I can work as little or as much of that as I like. With tree work I prefer to be on almost every job.

My 7 year old son lives in California and I like to get out there every 6-8 weeks. I can go to see him during gutter season, though it hasn't been much of a break lately, since my x-father in law realized I could prune the mistletoe out of his live oaks. I'll have to take a real saddle out there, instead of the double d saddle I've been using.

Anyhow, I love to rock n roll with tree work, pushing the limits, and then take some time off for mental and physical R&R... Still love the work... If I didn't I'd have gotten out of the business years ago...

I've been amazed at some of the things I've burned out on, but at this age (47) and just starting, I think my body will make me quit before I get tired of it. I get to do some photography and graphic design in the mix too so that keeps things from getting monotonous (<- I can't believe I spelled that right first try... weird)

I hope your son decides to start coming back with you and working with the old man.

I recently dropped 70% of my landscape customers due to burnout. My two main guys didn't come back last year so rather than hire new people I dropped customers. I only have a handful of accounts now and don't know what the future holds for me. I used the money I made landscaping to travel the world. I live in the city now because I am burnt out about living anywhere else. I paint landscapes and make rustic furniture and do cabinetry but not for money. I have arthritis in the spine and knees and have really bad numbness in my arms if I hold anything in them for long, including the phone. Something I just have to live with. OK. Now you've heard a burnt out story. I don't know what drives me to wake up in the morning and do it all over again but I do. I'm 50 now and I don't plan to stop till I'm in my 70's. And I'll tell ya, Murph, and anybody else reading this. It don't mean nothin'. I really don't know I'm 50. It's like I was 25. When I had super energy I drank like a fish. Now I don't drink at all and I still have the same energy. (meaning energy as if I drank a 6 pack everyday). It's all in what you see in the day. Just go for it! It's amazing what one can accomplish in a lifetime.

Some days I feel like I'm getting a little burnt out on Production tree work.(My shoulders are feeling it too) and I'm not very old. I like doing removals, especially hazardous ones, but I don't get a whole lot of those doing production work. Oh well. It pays the bills(kind of).

I think I try to avoid burnout by not working every job I can. Last night I took a roof clearing job right after I finished an all-day gig, and today I've been moping around feeling like crap. In general, I think one or two days on followed by a day off is a good routine, for me. Climbing is still one of my greatest joys, yet most of my city gigs do not give me the chance to do any real climbing. If I could climb everyday, I might go for five days straight. At 54, I know my body might protest and stop me, so I guess everything works out the way it should. Speaking of bodily protests, my darn tennis elbow came back today. I shook on a bid closing with this nice gal, and the pain almost brought me to my knees. Drag!

good thread!

When I was a full time climber I'd get burned out almost every winter. probably had more to do with the cold, and lack of sunlight. I would always find myself making plans to go back to school or move to another state.

Now that I'm in charge of multiple crews and hundreds of thousands of $$$ in contract money, burnout stress comes in different forms. The good news is when the s#!t gets too deep I can go climb a tree, unless its too cold of course!

One of the reasons i went to the subcontractor format, I don't have to "work" 6 day weeks to make ends meet. My ideal week is M,T-TH,F. Taking Wednesday for maintinance or consulting work.

I don't beg for work or advertise, I keep some money ahead so I won't bid low. Consequently I don't get all my bids, and have gaps of several days with nothing going on. Sometimes when I'm standing in a yard with my hands in a large circle showing someone how the shape of the mulch area around a tree should go I just sort of have this dull dejavu like why Am i doing this? One in a thousand takes my advice about root zones. When I think about the millions of uptight lawnowners busily scurrying and stressing to noisily and wastefully keep their anal little patches of green super tidy while soldiers are dying. Then the people are like, I just want that dead branch right there cut off. And when I lose a bid for pruning, I know without a doubt that the guy who got it will violate many pruning standards gratuitously and needlessly. These are the things that burn me out, not the actual work, I love that most times. It's the rampant misconceptions and assumptions. Thanks for the chance to rant Murphy4.

Like you said Murph and others variety is prob the key to avoid burnout. I also quit pounding the beers and inhaling the herb 17 years ago. Quit the ciggs too. Suddenly the equipment got better and bigger quantity. Clients frustrate me much more than the work also. But if you can thro some variety in there. I ve started really getting into planting trees as they ve been decimated around here. Love to shop for trees w a very critical eye. Love to plant and follow up. Travelling has got to be great too but just bought a much more expensive property so even tho I can fly for free (wife was w airline)we rarely go anywhere. Bought a real nice sports bike and Sun morning a 5-6 hour burst thru curvy wooded hills in the country is therapy. Two hard high level racquetball league matches a week also therapy. Gotta mix up climb w bucket. I think if you are on either all the time you get burned out. Just love tight challenging jobs fitting crane and maybe picker(or climb) in there. Give me a 15 degree day or a l00 degree day w 90 humidity. Make it realhard and you get done and feel not a lot could do that day. People hiding in house from cold or driving car w window up bcs of heat look at you like you re nuts but maybe w a little admiration. You know they re thinking that crazy f cking tree man. He prob gonna die way up there all the time but if they only knew that that s when we re really living while they re dieing sitting at a desk all day.

Part II

I would like to add that if it seems like I gave something in my business up, an addition to my post would be informative. What I 've done is free up time by not dealing with irresponsible employees to direct my efforts to doing more productive work. In other words got out of the maintenance business. A few of my customers discovered that my abilities range beyond that of a manager. I think my artistic abilities have found a platform. (It only took 30 years)
So it's like what has been agreed to on this thread, if your feeling burnt out make a change or take some time off and do something you like. My bet is you'll benefit in the long run.

Hey Murph hang in there buddy!

Great reactions so far. My anti-burnout strategy is to study what I'm doing. Crack open some books, try to figure out what's really going on in the tree, and write about it.

Working with younger folks is a recharge too; show kids waht's up with the trees, get involved with an education organization like ISA.

A good holiday with no phone calls does it for me,one week is usually enough.

I can see how climbing big trees everyday could eventually get to you, especially for someone that started as a kid, lets say cutting up big piles of firewood at age 12.
Really? How much longer do you think i have before i get burned out? But to be honest, i love the big ugly jobs that everyone else turns down. The excitement of doing the "big" trees is what gets me up every day. I never know what i am going to find when i get to the job but the bigger and uglier, the more fun i have. But i may just be weird that way.:)

I'll agree with OTG-comes february and i start getting a little run down, but then spring comes and i am ready to roll!

Also industry made a good point-production really burns you out quick-part of the reason i got out of it and went to removals. The pressure of having to get so many spans done every week can really get to you.

I don't get burned out doing the work,as a matter of fact,if all I had to do was head out and work all day,I'd be OK with it....What burns me out is dealing with customers,every now and then a worthless employee,and keeping equipment running and maintained...I will never get burned out doing the actual work,it's why I got in this business.

As an older climber it is very necessary to take control of your work and health. I started climbing at about 15 years old (am now 54) basically because evidently God designed me to climb trees. As the years went by, I intermittently sampled other professions with the thought that I probably wouldn't be able to climb forever and each and every one bored me to tears. Once you have been doing trees, where each day is a new challenge...be it a difficult, technical removal or a stunning representation of the species that you are responsible for maintaining...you just can't beat that.

I must say, possibly due to our location, our clientele is more often than not VERY pleasant to deal with. And very willing to accept recommendations on maintenance and general tree care.

Now back to the older climber part...for me two days on, one day off, two days on (weekend off) has been working very well. I have most of the repetitive use injuries that are possible to get, but hey, it's only pain...let's you know your alive. And I can't imagine NOT one-handing my saw! I am really appreciative of the new climbing techniques and equipment. I still get really excited trying out a new piece of equipment.

DMc

Three months off

Great reading guys!I've taken three months off,at the end of last season I felt pretty much burned out,i'd climb every day doing removals which wasn't the main problem.The main problem was the lack of knowledge on the ground and the continual basic tuiton i had to give to uninterested staff who were there only untill somthing better came along.Sharpening out chains that had bitten the ground,going for bad rides up trees,being struck and injured by peices roped off,all unprofessional bulldust that I didn't need.So I'm off to Norway on Wednsday,helped out an old boss outside of London this week,what a treat working with a crew of absolute craftsmen.Surely a sign of things to come!

Even though I consider myself an "older" climber its nice to see climbers with more body time than me posting here! Now That is Inspiration! (or plumb foolishness but I'll take it anyway! :rockn:)

Burnout is a crazy thing and can happen in any "Job" Every time I start getting burned out it is usually because my mental status has changed from "Get To..." to "Got to..."

When I slip into that "Got To..." mentality in short order the crew and I start getting sour.

A number of earlier posts mentioned two on one off as their natural work cycle. I find myself falling into that sort of routine as well.

Every day I can wake up and feel like I "get to" then we are golden!

Production Work doesn't't seem to be as much a drag for me as it sounds like it is for others. Each tree to me is different, presents challenges, and is another opportunity to meet and visit with a unique and challenging customer.

Granted, if we have a big job that drags on for days....that gets me burned really fast. I like the in and out in 6 hours max approach; keeps things fresh!

I suppose that is why we gave up plowing and mowing. Both great revenue centers but always the same & never finished. 8 days of rain and now you Have to or 30 inches of snow and you can't stop.

Seer is right on the money too by suggesting working with the young folk! I've been working with Interns from the local Fed Job Training Center and wouldn't trade it for the world. After about 3 weeks, even tho some of them are "legal" adults, they all become "my kids..."

It really gives new life and excitement to mundane jobs if for no other reason than it is still very fresh and new to the kids! There is also lots of satisfaction in seeing them get their CTW, Graduate and then get full time work in the industry specialty they like.

I'd love to keep them all on staff but I have enough of a time keeping a crew of 5 busy... :)

BTW Good Thread!

prevent burnout

go watch the new frank miller film 300, and know that if you're a tree climber then your spartan as well! What else could we do in today's world if there were no trees to slay. I'm just glad to be back working full time again. Stay safe!

Sorry man, i got to ask.:biggrinbounce2:
I did see that movie this weekend. What does it have to do with trees, treeclimbing, or burnout among climbers. With all the wheat fields in that film, seems like farmers would enjoy it more than climbers.:laugh:

Latest posts

Back