burn out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just before we moved to Medford, I decided to quit - just too tough and too much soreness.

Anyway, in settling-in here, I worked for a landcaper part time, in hot weather, doing mainly labor.

By the time 2 months was over, and back in control of starting and doing my own business, I felt like I could tackle this work until I'm 75.

Even with some pain. The sales I did for a few weeks, also, made me hurt worse from not working, than working.

So my mind is psyched-up to continue with this, and I'm doing some aspects I never did before, plus moving into teaching classes too.

And I started eating better, which may be taking care of 30% of the problem, right there.

But before we moved here, I felt like I was on my last leg. Now its the opposite.

Production Work doesn't't seem to be as much a drag for me as it sounds like it is for others. Each tree to me is different, presents challenges, and is another opportunity to meet and visit with a unique and challenging customer.

Granted, if we have a big job that drags on for days....that gets me burned really fast. I like the in and out in 6 hours max approach; keeps things fresh!

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing. For me, production work means trimming for clearance on utility lines 5 days straight. pretty much the same thing for 11 hours a day. Nothing really interesting, and if you don't get enough spans per week you get Bit**ed at, or worse. Most guys don't seem to last more than 8-10 years doing it, because they blow out their shoulders.(8 pound hydraulic tool, swing it around for 11 hours, see what happens). I like doing hazard removals, and I seem to be getting a better eye for pruning for tree health only, but Most days I'm stuck with the same old, same old.

reply to beowolf343

Maybe I am crazy, but when I left that movie I wanted to kill trees. Fortunately, that is just what I did today. I started with a nice maple for breakfast. Right before lunch I munched through two tall lanky cherries, and a typical pin oak. After lunch I slayed a huge norway spruce. I had some help from my crew of course. Not bad for a days appetite. Can't wait to see what the man has in store for us tommorrow. I'm getting hungry already. Incidentally, that's why they call me the shadow of death (tzelmet).

Isn't burnout when you lose the motivation to do something? Need inspiration?
Thanks for asking! Man, with a name of beowolf you must understand!

Last edited:
Tzelmet, glad to see another guy on this site who isn't afraid to kill a tree when it's needed! Watch yourself though-there are some hard core tree huggers on this site.;) Been burned a time or two myself for being strictly a takedown man. But it's what i love to do!

Sounds like you had a hell of a sweet day! Been stuck killing willows for the last couple days.

beowulf, I like the hell out of your name. Tzelmet, now that I know what your name means I still don't particularly care for it. I do however, like the name of this thread and didn't want to see it die.

Back