Burning bark in OWB?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rackmup

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
We have some nice pieces of bark off of elm and oak trees that are a couple of years old and dry as heck. I have had some people tell me not to burn bark but no one has told me why. Why would a person not want to burn big dry pieces of bark?

We have some nice pieces of bark off of elm and oak trees that are a couple of years old and dry as heck. I have had some people tell me not to burn bark but no one has told me why. Why would a person not want to burn big dry pieces of bark?

Lower BTU's and higher ash output... I can't think of any other reasons... IMHO, it's all BTU's.

I burn bark and splitter trash in my indoor fireplace... heats the house quite well. As a matter of fact, this being my first year heating with wood in this house I don't have much seasoned wood so I'm trying to save as much as possible. We still haven't had a fire that was fully stoked with wood. Most of our small, quick fires have been with bark. It gets things up to temp really quick, and saves the seasoned wood for the deep of winter when we're going to need it.

If it is dry it will burn. I burn bark and other waste in my OWB to get rid of it. Doesn't last too long but does produce heat.

Bark burns quick and leaves more ash, but that shouldn't stop anyone. Tends to hold water a little. I can't see a good reason to not burn it, especially if it is dry.

I throw wood off my truck into my basement. That leaves a lot of little wood scraps and bark on my floor, which I promptly sweep uo and put into my wood stove. It smolders for a little while because it covers up my coals, but it eventually goes and I get an hour or two of decent heat from it. No worries.

I use it for quick fires to knock the chill out of the air this time of year, when it's pretty cool in the morning but sometimes gets into the 70's during the day.

Last edited:
I think it is fine to burn bark with the rest of the wood - nobody really takes the time to peel bark off their firewood.....do they?

When I put wood in the OWB I will throw any bark in that has fallen off the wood into the fire. I would try to avoid throwing a bunch of wet bark into the OWB all at once - mix the bark in a little at a time.

I read that bark contains a higher concentration of the chemicals that form creosote, i wish I could remember the website. Anyway I don't know that I'd let that stop me.

I read that bark contains a higher concentration of the chemicals that form creosote, i wish I could remember the website. Anyway I don't know that I'd let that stop me.

I think the opinions on this thread have been that creosote is not a wood or bark problem - it is a problem that comes from burning wood that is too wet or burning too cold of a fire.

Nah. Creosote is simply unburned products of combustion. The most significant factor is the oxygen supply. All other factors (wood type) are tiny compared to this. Give it enough oxygen and heat, and even green wood will produce very little creosote.

A while back somebody posted some links to university studies on the subject. Wish I could find them now!

Anyway, they did a bunch of controlled tests on different types of wood, burn temps, oxygen supply, etc.

The studies debunked a lot of myths on the subject, especially the old wive's tale that PINE IS THE WORST!!!

It's not. Give a fire enough oxygen, keep it hot enough, and you can burn any kind of wood with no problem, pine included. They found little or no difference in creosote formation based on wood type.

It's all about the oxygen!

In my insert, I have only burned full pieces of wood overnight. When I am home in the evening, I have been burning dry bark and splitter waste. It has lasted me a month so far, and will probably last another two weeks or so. I have probably burned 1/4 cord of dry junk. I don't have a problem burning it as long as it is dry. Sure there are more ashes, but that's more good wood that I can be selling and it cleans up the area a little.

I have about 6 wheeled trash cans full of it. I leave them sit out on the covered porch to get any access moisture out.

I suddenly rembered that when I had been splitting a whole bunch of wood I had a big pile of dry bark. I picked up the bark from the ground and neatly piled it into empty paper 50 pound dog food bags. I had about 6 of these bags full of dry bark and I would throw an entire bag into the OWB on occasion. They seemed to burn just fine.

I know have a bark problem. The wood that comes out of my kiln really sheds the bark. By the time it leaves the kiln to delivery I end up with 5-6 decent size wheel barrow loads per load. I throw it all in the boiler. It's very dry just coming out of the kiln. It really burns great. Doesn't last long but it put out heat. I can get a good 10hrs or more out of a load of bark so why not. I have to do something with it.

Scott

Back