Burning Beech

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt7618

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Right need some info,

work with the local council, then spoke to the parks guys about wood if the were cutting. So, Now I got loads of Beech being delivered next week, all cut to 12" long( just nice to fit my small wood burning stove). what I would like to know is, how long will it take to season, and how easy is beech to split( using maul) 2. how good does it burn.

also how well does alder burn ( roads guys cut down loads last year) and my 026 has had fun bucking it up:chainsaw: and maul split. so enought for this year already in wood shed drying( been there about 9months alread, so will be ready for this winter.

thanks in advance for info

Steven

time?

so how about seasoning it? any idea how long it will take, guy at work reckons just a few months.. I can't see how though as most hardwood will take 6-9 months to be near ready.

I would say, yes, a few months should do it. Not sure, I usually burn beech that was dead when I cut it so that's a head start. It's easy to split so make smaller pieces if you want it dry before this winter. I don't know about the alder.

ta!

will probs keep it for next year as enough 1 year old alder to keep me warm this winter... and anyway it's free!!

warning, if you burn beech, you wont want to burn much else. great stuff, holds great coals all nite
-Ralph

Now it may split rather easily but that stuff becomes petrified with age .I saw one hard as a rock beech log a a GTG in northeast Ohio that blew the wind out of a lot of big powerfull saws sails ,mine included.About like cutting concrete.

Beech = #1 in my book. Scored about 5-6 cords this spring and has been stacked / split for a few months now. I read, and it has been my experience, that beech dries very quickly compared to other hardwoods.

JD

It's not all easy split I processed a 40"+ beech last year for a friend using a 30 ton splitter which struggled through several pieces, This was in july/august and by december he was putting the logs into a wheel barrow of water before he put them on the fire to stop them burning so fast.

Well luck for me it is coming bucked to 12" sice, and is being cut this week so will either stack it unsplit for next year or do you think I should split it this year and keep the alder for the next?

I've been cleaning Beech out of my woods and burning it for the last 3 years. I have about 5 more years worth. It burns very well and produces a lot of heat. I cut it in May and June and burn it starting in October. I've had no excessive creasote problem with that 5 month seasoning time.

the best firewood, i burn several cord a year and sell the maple. do an AS search for the "gone to the beech" thread, sorry i don't know how to post the url to get you there. i would season it at least six months if its green maybe a year, although most of mine is dead when i cut it also

Alder

so what about the alder, does it burn good? was free as well, well my time and saw gas etc. ?

Beech is #1 in my book as well I burn it myself it's one wood I won't sell. Alder burns really good in my OWB but I think it splits rather tough someone I'm sure will chime in. I never had to split it, pieces been small enough to get into the stove.

splitting it!!

has been a right B^*ch to split, mostly with sledge and wedge, as maul was getting no where fast. even had to resort to the 026 to cut some of the knotted bits!!

hope that is a sign or nice dense wood that burns good!

Steven

Latest posts

Back