Burning Boysenberry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slvrmple72

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Neighbor cut down a large Boysenberry and gave me the wood. Anyone burn this type of tree? Seems like good hardwood and about a cord and a half worth.

You stumped me I never heard of a boysenberry tree. Thats a first. I thought boysenberries were the same genus of a blackberry which grows on brambles like a blackberry. Could it be perhaps a mulberry tree which has a fruit that much resembles a blackberry?

Mulberry wood turns yellow when dried and is a great dense wood but it tends to pop and spark. It is the same genus as Osage orange if you are familiar with that wood. It is a great wood to watch in an enclosed wood stove and is by far my favorite wood to use to smoke poultry and one of my favorite overall woods to use given its versatility.

Last edited:
Must be Mulberry...boysenberry I believe grows on vines. Mulberry is primo burnin. Have a lot of mulberry around here...its like locust in that you can't kill it. You cut one tree down and 4 more grow up in its place. If you can throw up a pic folks here can help identify it.

You stumped me I never heard of a boysenberry tree. Thats a first. I thought boysenberries were the same genus of a blackberry which grows on brambles like a blackberry. Could it be perhaps a mulberry tree which has a fruit that much resembles a blackberry?

Mulberry wood turns yellow when dried and is a great dense wood but it tends to pop and spark. It is the same genus as Osage orange if you are familiar with that wood. It is a great wood to watch in an enclosed wood stove and is by far my favorite wood to use to smoke poultry and one of my favorite overall woods to use given its versatility.

JB...care to extrapolate on your method for smoking meat with mulberry? I have a bunch of the stuff on my property and would love to put it to some good use. Would like to hear how you go about it. Thanks.

Yeah, sorry fellas, my mistake. It is Mulberry not Boysenberry. Some of the big pieces are about 3' dia. The stump in my neighbors backyard already has a bunch of shoots over 4' tall! Stuff must be hard to kill. Thanks!

A guy I work with had me bring him in some Cherry and Hickory pieces to smoke with in his grill. He said to cut it into chips, soak it in water for a while then throw it on some foil and place under the grate. Soaking it in water makes it smolder and not flame up. I would guess that mulberry would be the same. Good luck.

You can either chip the larger pieces of wood or use the small branches and cut them with snippers. I do the latter. Before use soak them in water for 30 minutes. Mulberry imparts a milder smoke flavor which works really great with beer can chicken.

You can either chip the larger pieces of wood or use the small branches and cut them with snippers. I do the latter. Before use soak them in water for 30 minutes. Mulberry imparts a milder smoke flavor which works really great with beer can chicken.

Oh man... I can taste it already. Thanks.

Back