Burning Chinese Chestnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pweber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've got three big chinese chestnut trees in my back yard that everyone wants cut down. I saw only one old thread here that discussed how well it burned, and I get the impression it's not all that hot. Anyone have much experience burning the stuff? How is it compared to tulip poplar or black walnut?

How big? We took down a 20" tree a couple years ago and cut it into slabs. We're still waiting for it dry. I just turned a couple small pieces and it was pretty nice. It does seem a little light for firewood. You might check with any woodworkers in your area. I realize it's not American chestnut but the grain is similar.

Fire don't last long with it. Never burnt enough Poplar and no Walnut to compare it with. Bit like soft Maple is as close as I can tell ya.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably burn one and if I like it I'll cut down the others next year. I know that some woodworkers like to make country-style furniture out of the stuff.

Chinese Chestnut (Castanea Molissima)
chleaf.jpg

is not Ailanthus.
250px-Ailanthus-altissima.jpg

Chestnut is not a high density firewood.

Chestnut is such great deer mast, I'd build a stand in one instead of cutting it down. Guess Chinese chestnuts are smallish, near the house? Why not bow hunt from your deck?

Latest posts

Back