Burning Shagbark hickory produces lots of ash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowawoodcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone here burn shagbark hickory? Usually I burn only white/red oak, but got a hold of two to three cord of shagbark hickory and it seems to produce a ton a ash. Anyone else notice this?

never noticed hickory producing more ash .

could it be cause the wood is so dense

What do you normally burn??

cut & burn a ton of hickory ( shaggy ) burns great & never noticed excess ash wood is always seasoned at least a year
bob

hmmm, I let this batch of hickory season since april, maybe it is too wet. Don't hear any sizzle when I burn it so I figured it was fine. I usually only let my red/white oak season for 6 months and they seem to be fine. Maybe I need to let it sit longer, got more oak in the 5-6 month seasoning time than I can shake a stick at...

got to agree with bobfeather on this one. Hickory burns pretty good even with just a few months of drying time, but it really needs at least a year. I have noticed a lot more ash when it gets less than a year. Hickory is pretty much all I am burning this year thanks to a big shagbark cutting last year by the local logging crew I follow around.

Hickory seems to have a smaller peek time then most other woods. seems like it needs a year to season but once you get past 24 months it seems to rot fast.

Lots of Ash

I noticed the same thing when I burn Black Walnut. Seems to leave a lot of ash and takes a long time to season. If I can find Hickory I burn it in my smoker not my furnace.

Back