Burning wood from the inside out!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy Billy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I saw a post by someone about a inside out candle. And thought it looked really cool.

You take a dry log. Drill at least a 1" hole in it strait down but not all the way through the log. Then a second hole threw the side connecting to the first hole. Melt wax in it and light it with a torch (I used diesel fuel as that was all I had) The hole ends up becoming a chimney drawing air through it to keep the fire burning. And depending on the size of the log can burn for a hour or three.

Here's the link to the pictures that showed me how to make it.

http://picasaweb.google.com/nutfool/InsideOutCandle?authkey=Gv1sRgCKH54bulyoycRA#

We tried it this weekend UP north and it was great! We forgot the drill at home. So my brother bore cut them with his chainsaw

IMG_1273.JPG

The birch worked out the best. The log to the front was maple but still a little wet. The spruce log worked well and so did a cedar.

IMG_1275.JPG

Once the candles burnt mostly up we made a bonfire out of them

IMG1285S.JPG

Billy

I save any hollow logs of lower grade firewood for just this purpose. Just set it on top of a few blocks of wood in the firepit and let er rip. For some reason it's even more fun than a regular campfire.

Thanks Fishhead

I was surprised that the flames shot up so far.

Cool Steve

I'll have to save some of mine. It dosen't seem to through as much head a a campfire. Be great for when its hot out and you want a fire.

Thats really cool too Corrupt!

Billy

We always take a hollow log at deer camp and set it on a hot bed of coals. Once the fire gets so hot it comes out the top, changes colors even sounds like a jet engine at times. One of the keys is to keep air flowing from underneath by the coals, it's very cool. Nice to relax and have a few frostys and enjoy.

Kyle

Swedish Candle

I posted a short thread about seeing a Swedish Candle for the first time a few months ago. Looks like you have made pretty much the same thing I was talking about, just a little different twist on the process. Here is the link to the original post that has a link to someones method for making them. They are a lot of fun don't require much tending once they get going.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=127374&highlight=swedish+candle

Enjoy.

Sweet Kyle

I'll have to try a log as well as the rounds!!!!

Cool Ductape

Let er rip!!!

Thanks LT100

Billy

so is the fire you see in the pics coming from the burning wood or the wax?

does the fire go out once the wax is burnt or does the wood keep burning?

how much wax????????? do you fill the hole up solid??

damn neat idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could prolly skip the wax if you filled up the vertical hole with diesel and let it soak for a few days before drilling or cutting the horizontal air vent hole.
I think I'll try a few and see, neat idea.

Thanks Rudedog

Cool Blackjack1234

so is the fire you see in the pics coming from the burning wood or the wax?

does the fire go out once the wax is burnt or does the wood keep burning?

how much wax????????? do you fill the hole up solid??

damn neat idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't have any wax so I poured diesel in it until it came out the side hole. In the picture the birch and spruce had burnt up the diesel and were just burning wood but the maple was still burning on diesel.

Thanks BlueRidgeMark!

You could prolly skip the wax if you filled up the vertical hole with diesel and let it soak for a few days before drilling or cutting the horizontal air vent hole.
I think I'll try a few and see, neat idea.

I poured it in and lighted it right away. No need to wait for it to soak in.

Deeker: Now I will have to try it.

Thats what I said now I am looking for more dry rounds and hollow logs

Blazin: Pretty cool, Now to find a log dry enough to try it. LOL!

Ya got that right!

Billy

Back