Burr Oak, Hedge, Honey Locust and Mulberry Comparison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cutting Hedge from a hedgerow is a challenge in itself. The trees are intertwined so badly that the only trees that can be harvested are on the perimeter. Getting to the trunk is a job. My dad had a Cat 945 loader and we would use it to scrape the tree trunk, then to make access to the trunk. Without a big piece of equipment it wouldn't be fun.

Some of the Amish guys in central Missouri burn Locust exclusively. Don't blame them.

All those species mentioned in earlier posts are available to me also, but I usually get to cut the off alls that someone wants removed or the big stuff no one else wants to mess with. I would take the Hackberry and mulberry over the oak any day just because it works up better. Depending on the species on the BTU chart certain ash is better than some oaks. Hackberry is slightly below the ash but it works so nice its; hard to pass up. For years when I had the add wood burner in the basement it seems all I could get was soft maple :( but it worked for me and kept us warm. I've never been known as a wood snob:rock2::). If it burns as long as it isn't cottonwood or basswood, I'll take it..

Latest posts

Back