butchered my 361 muffler mod .........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmcdjohnson

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well, I had a dumb idea to just drill a hole in the side of the muffler as close to the exhaust exit "shield" as possible. I thought I would be drilling into that inner "tube" that goes to the exhaust hole in the back of the muffler, but after I drilled the hole, I realized that wasn't the case. The hole just went right into the muffler, bypassing the whole weird maze inside. Anyhow, that
wasn't a big deal to me, so I just ran the saw like that. BUT ...... stupidly, I never even gave a thought to the amount of heat that would be coming out of the little hole I drilled. While cleaning my saw, I noticed that it actually started to melt the plastic on the inside of the chain brake. not enough to hurt anything, but I knew I couldn't run the saw like that anymore:mad: So, I went to work on a cobb-job extended "sheild" that goes over my extra hole. It isn't pretty, but it works, and it beats buying a new muffler. Her are some pics (sorry for the blur):

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Research that 361 muffler. Much better ways to wake that saw up. They look better, run MUCH better, and arent expensive.

Back