Buy new or repair the old??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasoutside

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey Fellas!

Here is what I have...
P1010914.jpg

To my knowledge this was installed when the house was originally built 34 years ago. The previous owner used it and I have used it since we bought the place 3 winters ago. This Energy Mate is awesome! Each of the past three winters I have burned roughly 5.5 to 6 cord to heat my place loading once in the morning and once in the afternoon. On the coldest days (20ish below) I will feed a third time. This set up keeps my place toasty warm in the upper 70's and the only drops of propane that get used is when I have a late day at work or what have you.

Anyway...

I am wondering if this furnace should be retired or is repairable?

The fire box is warped. Not terrible, but obviously warped/wavy. Also, there is a crack that has started at the corner of the door frame...
P1010915-1.jpg

My question...

Can I, or should I take this over to my local fab shop and have them weld up some new stuff on the inside of the fire box and weld up this corner?

Or, is the writing on the wall, should I be looking to replace this?

Much appreciated fellas!

Thats a good question and definitely one of those questions I often ponder when fixing my junk... aka polishing a turd!

I would say that it looks as though the stove has had a good life 30+ years!

I cant make the decision for you and I cant see it first person... But I would say that if you think that it is a danger in the condition that it is in then you and a few buddies should haul it out of the basement (it's got to come out anyway). Bring it to your local trusted fabricator and get a quote. Then compare the repair price with the cost of a new model.

Remember the new model will be more efficient (EPA) and thus use less wood. Plus the new has the advantage to being all certified and such to keep your insurer happy.

Repairing old faithful may (or may not) have the advantage of cost.

It is good that you are shopping for options now because time is on your side!

Keep us updated...

Thats a good question and definitely one of those questions I often ponder when fixing my junk... aka polishing a turd!

I would say that it looks as though the stove has had a good life 30+ years!

I cant make the decision for you and I cant see it first person... But I would say that if you think that it is a danger in the condition that it is in then you and a few buddies should haul it out of the basement (it's got to come out anyway). Bring it to your local trusted fabricator and get a quote. Then compare the repair price with the cost of a new model.

Remember the new model will be more efficient (EPA) and thus use less wood. Plus the new has the advantage to being all certified and such to keep your insurer happy.

Repairing old faithful may (or may not) have the advantage of cost.

It is good that you are shopping for options now because time is on your side!

Keep us updated...

Thanks for chiming in gpeter! Yah, I am with ya. My guess would be that my fab guy could make it happen for probably about $200, give or take. I would be working hard to keep my budget for a new set up at the $1500 mark. I'd rather not spend that money if I don't have to, but at the same time I have no trouble doing it. Just like the fellas that frequent this thread, saving money is key and I'd make up that investment in the first year of burning wood v. propane.

I surely will not go into next burning season with it as is, I'm not feeling good about that. So I suppose the question could be phrased this way...

Might it be worth the extra $1300 (or so) investment to buy new? Hmmm, I don't know?

Or, would a couple of hundred bucks invested in this Energy Mate keep it running for another half a dozen years or so? Might that be a wise use of my cash?

You are right! Time is on my side and either way it needs to come out, so, that is all good!

Also, if you install new before December 31, 2010, you will be able to get a 30% tax credit back from Mr. Obama. I installed my wood stove last year and ended up getting $600 and I just installed a new gas furnance as well (even though I hardly use it when I am burning) and I will get back another $600 from the government and $300 from the local gas company:jawdrop:

The real question is how much do you value your life,home and belongings?
After all of this time that furnace has done well by you.
I get the quick (cheap )fix.I also know metalurgy...somewhat.Most old 30 years or better furnaces are about tapped out. You should weigh getting a new unit that will be just as or more efficent.

With the tax credit for this year your going to be able to get a whale of a deal that most likely you'll never see again.
This is your year....choose wisely!

Repair it yourself and save it as a spare in case your new model craps out!

Good luck and be very careful carrying that heavy looking moloch around.

and I forgot, you can sell all excess wood to make some money on the side!

for my experience, you will never be as happy with a new stove as you have been with the old one. the old addage "they don't make 'em like they used to" is just as true with wood stoves as it is with everything else. your old stove will have been made with heavier steel and beefy'r parts. i work in a forging plant and my experience says it should be a simple fix. if your guy knows anything about steel / welding, the repair will be stronger than new

Your stove looks VERY similar to my Woodchuck, I wouldn't be suprised if it isn't a copy of it or built by them under another name. Mine even had similar cracks.

The cure for the cracking is to drill a small hole at the end of the crack to keep it from spreading, vee out the crack a bit with a grinder, and weld it all back shut. I did mine in place in the basement with a 110V wire feed, still holding 2 years later.

The warping you're showing doesn't concern me much, so long as the doors still seal well it's pretty much just cosmetic. I sure wouldn't replace it just on the damage I see in the pics, but I'm replacing mine this summer for a new EPA model, partly for cost savings in wood, partly to get a gas-wood combo stove, and partly due to the wear and tear on my current model.

As long as you or your welder is confident in your work, I'd fix it up, run a couple more seasons on it, and keep saving for a replacement, and when you do replace it, get a good quality one instead of going after the "this one fits the budget" plan. I could have bought a Tractor Supply stove this year, but decided to keep saving and get a Yukon downstairs before next winter. I think it will be a better investment long term.

I wish I could weld then the answer would be a bit easier for me!

If I have it repaired I really don't feel as though it would be a quick/cheap fix as Kieth mentioned. Having another plate of steel welded in the fire box means that it would be twice the thickness it was, in other words, more heavy duty than is was when it left the factory. That crack welded up should be as good as it was prior in my mind. Maybe my thinking is off here.

The fab guys who would do the work also build and sell OWB's so they know their game.

I do agree with Keith that he/Yukon is offering up a great deal and the tax credit is a bonus!

I'll never by the cheap stuff sold at the big box stores. No sense in doing silly things like that. The Yukon Big Jack and the Fire Chief would be on my short list for new if I went that way. The Big Jack I'd have to have shipped where as I have some local folks that sell the Fire Chief.

Now, if I had a pole building that needed heat this would be a no brainer. Buy new, Energy Mate heats the work shop! But getting that built is still about 6 years out for me.

Still thinking...

Cheers Fellas!

I like fixing my old stuff to keep it going - But, when you can't do it in place, you have to consider that after moving it, paying to fix it & moving it back, suppose another corner cracks this season? Move it again?

I like fixing my old stuff to keep it going - But, when you can't do it in place, you have to consider that after moving it, paying to fix it & moving it back, suppose another corner cracks this season? Move it again?

Yup, that would be the gamble part of the equation. Of course the other side would be to move it, fix it, move it back, run it for x number of years trouble free. I am glad that I have a long time before the cold weather comes back to stew on it!

Cheers!

for my experience, you will never be as happy with a new stove as you have been with the old one. the old addage "they don't make 'em like they used to" is just as true with wood stoves as it is with everything else. your old stove will have been made with heavier steel and beefy'r parts. i work in a forging plant and my experience says it should be a simple fix. if your guy knows anything about steel / welding, the repair will be stronger than new

:agree2: I took my Sierra to work and on my lunches I welded in some new metal. I guess since I did it myself I saved lots of money. The other reason I did it was because I am familiar with the unit and felt comfortable with it and how to burn in it. Also my BIL took his out,which is similar to yours,and had the fab shop make him a new one. I dont know the cost but he said he saved lots of money. Keep us posted.:cheers:

I'd be inclined to replace it, unless you don't have the $$...
Tax credit, and more efficiency would come into play. Where there's one crack, there's usually another one. If you do keep the old one, please fix the MC cable going to your blower.

I'd be inclined to replace it, unless you don't have the $$...
Tax credit, and more efficiency would come into play. Where there's one crack, there's usually another one. If you do keep the old one, please fix the MC cable going to your blower.

As for $$...

It's one of those things where if it has to be done I will invest in quality. I sure don't have $1500 to $2500 laying around trying to spend itself. If it must be done than it must be done and I know I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep knowing that I bought a quality piece of equipment.

At the same time I am wondering if I can achieve a similar goal by repairing what I already have for waaaayyyy less.

Fix wire, check.

You dont weld eh!! Well it sounds like a good time to start by getting a welder and practicing over the summer. Do the job yourself while in your basement off of 110v and forget about buying a new stove or hauling it to a fab shop.

Here is a great welder that gets high reviews on the Hobart weldtalk forum

If you only have a 110v plug in your basement you would want the miller stick to get the best penetration, that little box packs a punch and is pretty making those old tombstone welders obsolete.

I bought a lincoln wire feed 175A welder a few years ago for $500 and it has been one of the best investments I have made. The thing has paid itself off many many times over. Not to mention the convenience of having the skill and welder in the garage whenever there is a piece of metal in need of fixin.

Here is the newer model of lincoln welder that I own; it now comes with a gas regulator (they are always on sale). HD sells these models as well.

If you can rewire your dryer plug then you can get the 220v mig lincoln.

If you have the desire to weld I tell you it is an amazing skill and it has changed my life by making me more independent by being able to fabricate whatever I can dream of, and being able to help people out and make a buck on the side. In fact the feeling of liberation is much like that of burning wood for heat!

....I hope I did not offend you.....
My thinking is that you most likely won't get another 30 years from it.
So with this tax credit you can buy a new one like our for a price you'll never see again. Then you'd have somehting to last the next 30 years or better.

Buying local may be a way but think about no markup vs the retailers markup.
They do not have any way to burn smoke off which nets you another 30-40% of the possible btu's like the Jacks have.
Beefie...you bet.We still build them like they were 40 years ago and they have demonstrated with history a great track record.
Burning less wood with longer burn times over decade of depedable operation says that maybe...just maybe it's time to retire your ole buddy.
I mean why take chances.Will the guy the welds this old one up guarentee it will not fail when you need it most?

I'm not saying ...go out and buy a Jack...get what you think will do the job for the $$$$ you may have.
We are not talking about frivolus matters here.This is your home,and there is a lot that rides on your furnaces ability to operate safely.

You dont weld eh!! Well it sounds like a good time to start by getting a welder and practicing over the summer. Do the job yourself while in your basement off of 110v and forget about buying a new stove or hauling it to a fab shop.

Here is a great welder that gets high reviews on the Hobart weldtalk forum

If you only have a 110v plug in your basement you would want the miller stick to get the best penetration, that little box packs a punch and is pretty making those old tombstone welders obsolete.

I bought a lincoln wire feed 175A welder a few years ago for $500 and it has been one of the best investments I have made. The thing has paid itself off many many times over. Not to mention the convenience of having the skill and welder in the garage whenever there is a piece of metal in need of fixin.

Here is the newer model of lincoln welder that I own; it now comes with a gas regulator (they are always on sale). HD sells these models as well.

If you can rewire your dryer plug then you can get the 220v mig lincoln.

If you have the desire to weld I tell you it is an amazing skill and it has changed my life by making me more independent by being able to fabricate whatever I can dream of, and being able to help people out and make a buck on the side. In fact the feeling of liberation is much like that of burning wood for heat!

I am so mad at myself for not taking welding in high school, sure pre calculous, Honors History, and on....

No welding class, man what a dummy! I have dabbled in some stick welding but I'm not very good. I think if I could find a welder on craigslist for cheap I'd prolly jump on one. I've considered just taking a welding class at the local community college but time seems to be an issue there. I really just need to learn as I ALWAYS have a welding job that need to be done. I have been able to get by as I work at a high school and I have all my non critical stuff done by those guys.

Bottom line, I just need to learn!

Jump in then; it is easy! I know welding can be complicated and require alot of instruction to be pro.

I found a dvd for mig welding and it helped me out alot in technique. Like most things it is a skill you have to develop with mileage... Take on some other welding projects first like building a cart or welding bench, test some welds by breaking them... Then you will have the skill to lay down a good strong bead.

If you join the weldtalk forum you will find all the required info and if you posted pictures of your stove likely you could get top notch advise. And if you are unsure of your ability you can have your welds critiqued by experienced weldors.

If you make that stove last another 6 years in your house until you move it to a new pole barn then you just paid off the welder.

new stove about $3000 installed;
life span of 30 years= $100/yr

X 6 years = paid off welder

Oh and to add to the weld info:

It looks as though the stove may be cast iron which requires a pre and post heating to weld. Here is a brief discussion I had with some other members regarding cast iron welding

Sorry if I am trying to sway you too much in one direction, I just love fixing stuff and playing with fire!!!

Thanks guys for the replies and info, appreciate that!

Yah, GPETER I'm wit ya! Welding, just like any other skill I'm sure, takes time to develop and produce quality stuff. I am really annoyed that is a skill that I don't have, but I'll fix that at some point.

Still undecided about my set up. I suppose I might be waiting for a ridiculous, can't pass up sort of deal to come my way. Or, maybe some unforeseen bill (truck breakdown or something like that) to come up. Either way the issue would likely be settled at that point.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back