Buyer Beware

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trent Curtis

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I hate smearing anybody’s name- but I can’t stand a crook.

I recently called on a saw listed on WA Craigslist. After talking the guy said he had a 3120 parts saw (basket case).

Long story short it needed a piston and crank and a few small parts. I bought it for $330, all taken apart and in a box. He specifically said the cylinder was clean.

Long story short- I have been remodeling the house and didn’t open the box of parts for 2 months- that’s my fault.

I decided to sell the basket case as I have no time..... I listed the saw for sale... then opened the box to take pics for selling purposes. When I opened the box the cylinder is trash- no nikasil left where the piston skirts were riding (intake and exhaust side)

I contacted the seller asking that he refund my money, and I pay shipping to return his saw since the cylinder was not as described.

But..... he says that I clearly put acid to the cylinder causing the wear/damage. That he sent me a good clean cylinder. I’ll let you guys look at the pics and decide for yourselves...... I didn’t touch this cylinder, but again I’ll just leave the pics here and y’all can make your own conclusions.

I simply asked for a refund- and offered to eat the shipping to send the parts back. He has refused to make it right- refusing to refund. Blaming me for damaging the cylinder.

offering instead to send “PART of the cost for an AM cylinder”. You guys that know me, know I wouldn't install an AM cylinder on a 455 rancher much less a 3120.

This guys name is Brett, and he sells a lot of saws on CL in WA. He is also a “former” member of this site. Makes me wonder now why he is a “former”. He told me the members of this site are “know it alls” :nofunny:

Hopefully my reputation speaks for itself- and That my dealings are honest.

I’m going to sell the parts and move on from this guy- he’s not worth the time of day. But, I want all the WA members to receive fair warning also.

Here are the pics gents- this is the cylinder as I received it. Or if you listen to the seller, this is the cylinder that was sent in perfect shape.... and clearly damaged by me (after I supposedly put acid to a perfect cylinder). Anybody with half an eye can see the verticals wear marks and wear area, clearly caused by the piston. Additionally it appears acid and a home may have been used in an attempt to clean it up.

If you are in WA- then buyer beware.... at the very least this transaction was crooked as all get out. He had every opportunity to make it right before I posted here-
F69EE885-5D7A-4F70-9EF1-DC934A445C25.jpeg 233CB3FE-9BD9-4E6E-899C-F49CB096B293.jpeg

Anybody looking for parts.... 275 shipped for entire lot.

Saw has good clean crank case, bearings and a seal gasket kit. Good full wrap handle, Oiler, spikes, fuel tank, brand new top cover..... and other misc stuff.

Oh and one crappy cylinder!!!!

Looking to sell the whole basket case lot- but will part out if unable to sell as a whole.

Will trade towards a clean 359 also. Not looking to get my money out of it. But will sell or trade for a fair offer.

I have $375 into it after buying the top cover and seal/gasket kit.

I’d sell the whole lot for $275 shipped.

sorry to hear this trent, that cylinder certainly isnt what i would call clean or useable, not for very long anyway.

Thanks Cus- no skin off my nose. It isn't about the money, I just can’t stand crooks.

I just refunded a CL sell last week. $550 for a nice 064 that I sold. He finished my tank of fuel, refueled and then locked up the saw. Unfortunately when he brought it back he had already drained the fuel trying to fix himself.

He swears he used his mix can...... but I doubt it :)

Regardless I refunded him and took the saw back- you never ever go wrong to error on the side of being square and fair.

That the same one with multiple saws in wooden boxes currently listed before he goes to a swapmeet?

6A9B044A-EBCA-4ABC-96D6-7D7478BD4F68.jpeg
That the same one with multiple saws in wooden boxes currently listed before he goes to a swapmeet?

No idea I’m in ID and haven’t been back in WA or on CL.

Here’s a screen shot of how I opened up the dialogue regarding his sending a bad cylinder. You can see his number listed up top- I blacked out the last number- but if all the other numbers match then I’d say yes.

I’d post his responses but I’d be blacking out a lot of profanities and childish crap.

Just don’t buy from this guy.. or do so at your own risk.

I think he bought this saw from a known member to complete a build. Said known member has a good name, and has nothing to do with this. And unloaded his extra parts with the junk cylinder. All would have been fine with a little honesty- or willingness to make right what was Wrong.

Whoops. I’ll send pm would make a good pair with my broken case saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frank,

I want somebody to feel they got a good deal- it’s always a crap shoot buying a box of parts.
Whoever buys this stuff- if you receive it and feel it isn’t as described or find something wrong that I missed I’d send you the difference.

I want it gone- but want somebody to feel good about the purchase as well.

Case and full wrap are in great shape. I think it’s well worth the 275 IMO. But again- upon arrival the buyer can decide for themselves.

Frank,

I want somebody to feel they got a good deal- it’s always a crap shoot buying a box of parts.
Whoever buys this stuff- if you receive it and feel it isn’t as described or find something wrong that I missed I’d send you the difference.

I want it gone- but want somebody to feel good about the purchase as well.

Case and full wrap are in great shape. I think it’s well worth the 275 IMO. But again- upon arrival the buyer can decide for themselves.

Any chance you are going to the Iowa GTG?

I wish- but no sir. To busy with the house remodel.

Bummer thought maybe we could save in shipping. You know always looking for ways to get cost down. I bought this 3120 from a guy saying it was good to go. Learned a lesson to always as for an abundance of photos. Only one I didn’t get is the bottom. Turns out the rear AV limiter and case is broke off so it’s at best only a milling saw now. I’ve been hoping to find a saw with a little better plastics and a good crank case for awhile now. I’ll take it just trying to get home where I can send the pm and get payment info.

Bummer thought maybe we could save in shipping. You know always looking for ways to get cost down. I bought this 3120 from a guy saying it was good to go. Learned a lesson to always as for an abundance of photos. Only one I didn’t get is the bottom. Turns out the rear AV limiter and case is broke off so it’s at best only a milling saw now. I’ve been hoping to find a saw with a little better plastics and a good crank case for awhile now. I’ll take it just trying to get home where I can send the pm and get payment info.

Pm sent. No rush on payment.

Looks like he tried running it after he tried to clean it up, can see marks through his acid wash.

Steve

Who knows. My guess is that when the crank lost the big end, the saw was left in use. Causing excessive piston wear on the cylinder walls.

The only spot the skirts touch that's discolored is under the exhaust port. Doesn't look like it's through the plating though. It might be something else entirely, as it has the same discoloration around the lower transfer ports. There wouldn't have been any aluminum smearing there since it's all open.

Back