Buying A Axe for Splitting Oak Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davbell22602

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a brand name of axe for splitting oak firewood? I was going to get one from tractor supply. Thought I'd check here first to if brand name and type of axe matters any?

I'll second the Fiskars X27. I have split well over 4 cord with mine so far and I love it.

How big are most of the Rounds ?

I have nothing but good things to say about the x27 !

But for huge rounds, I would say a 6-8# Maul might work better.

As usual a bunch of numpskulls giving advice here! Of course you need a Fiskars....

:D

I see a lot of guys suggesting the X27 all the time. I have one and it is great but for ME I much prefer the X25. I use a tall chopping block so maybe that is it but it would be worth handling both if possible before you buy. Then again they are cheap enough you could own both if you initial purchase doesnt suit you. BTW I am 6'1" and I still prefer the 25 to the 27 so its not all about height. I got a buddy thats 6'6" and he likes the 25 as much as the 27 too so its not just me. Either way get the fiskars.

Can anyone recommend a brand name of axe for splitting oak firewood? I was going to get one from tractor supply. Thought I'd check here first to if brand name and type of axe matters any?

Same as others: Fiskars X27. But you really need to add a 6 or 8 lb maul to the tool kit.

I see you want to stick to small rounds - The Fiskars will handle them but will balk at knots/crotches.

Harry K

My next one will be a European splitting Axe in the 6-7 lb range. The stihl or husky versions are both very nice but a little more than the fiskars.

Wetterlings 5.5 lb maul. Excellent metallurgy, from real, human smiths. Should outlast a few fiskars.

That maul for the initial splits down the middle, depending on the wood. Then, whatever suits.

There are differences between "splitting axes" and "mauls" but I dare anyone to list them. Intentionally fuzzified.

There are mauls that are next to useless- way too blunt. Comparing them to any other category of tool is misleading. Real quality steels are hard to come by too.

The stihl splitting Axe is an oschenkopf I think. I can't remember the number on it.

Tractor Supply sells the True Temper Splitting Axe for $30....Just as good as the Fiskars x27 in my opinion.
Don't know where the Fiskars is manufactured, But I know that True Temper is Made in the USA.

Wetterlings 5.5 lb maul. Excellent metallurgy, from real, human smiths. Should outlast a few fiskars.

That maul for the initial splits down the middle, depending on the wood. Then, whatever suits.

There are differences between "splitting axes" and "mauls" but I dare anyone to list them. Intentionally fuzzified.

There are mauls that are next to useless- way too blunt. Comparing them to any other category of tool is misleading. Real quality steels are hard to come by too.

The only significant difference (outside of generic shape) I could name would be a maul has a sledgehammer back, and an axe doesn't.

Can anyone recommend a brand name of axe for splitting oak firewood?

Well, my first question would be what kind of oak??

If it's Red Oak, and the rounds don't go any larger than 20-inches I'd say a splitting ax (like the Fiskars, for one) would do the job for you. But if it's one of the White Oaks, especially Bur Oak, you'll want a maul to halve them before switching to the ax. Mauls can commonly be had from 4 to 12 pounds, with 6 or 8 being the best all-'round. If you haven't done any maul swinging go with the 6-pounder; the 8 will work you rather than you working the maul. My 8# maul is old, really old, and the lettering is long gone... I haven't used any of the "box-store" mauls marketed today so I can't help you with any choices. If you know good steel when you see it and feel it, hit some flea markets and pick-up an oldie-but-goodie... and put a new handle on it. Be aware, you'll need a bit of learning time to make either work correctly, and it takes a bit of a technique change going from a maul to an ax... you don't swing them quite the same

This is all I have right now for splitting white oak firewood.

1372034374462_zps5f91d0ac.jpg

Latest posts

Back