Buying a Logrite cant hook

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lionsfan

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Anyone own a 48" or 60" aluminum handled Logrite cant hook? I'm buying one, but on the fence between a 48" or 60" model. Rarely do I work on logs over 24" and it seems to me the 48" should be plenty. Thoughts???

I have the 60" extreme duty. I applied the same logic as I do for sizing a saw. I will never wish for smaller to get the job done.
Even the 60" can struggle on the big suckers I drop. The extra leverage and sturdy build is key when im turning 30"+ logs. I don't do it often, but when I do, its invaluable. Turning standard 24" sizes is a breeze.

I've used a friend's 48" in the past and was pretty impressed with what I could move, so I bought myself the same one a few weeks ago. Haven't had a chance to use this one yet.

I got the 60" extreme. the smallest log it will reliably grab is 10"+/- my reasoning was that I really don't consider anything under that to be a log, more of just a branch but I'm still young and dumb.
truth be told I should have gotten the 78" cant and a 60" peavey. The handle is the important part... the "standard" is schedule 40 tube and the "extreme" is sch 80. How does that translate you ask the std handle can take 800 lbs of force before bending and the ex will take 1300 pounds. So if you are over 160 pounds and you are bouncing on the end of the std 60" handle you can bend it. Same scenario with the ex handle you can be 260 lbs.

A LOT depends on your age,,, and the condition of your back,,
heck,, a young guy, with too much strength,, the 32" one seems like overkill,,,

ME?? I built one for fun,, then bought a 60" "orange" Logrite,, (Stihl)
I use them both,,,

BZBOYNX.jpg

Actually, my DIY does several things much nicer than the store bought one,,

A LOT depends on your age,,, and the condition of your back,,
heck,, a young guy, with too much strength,, the 32" one seems like overkill,,,

ME?? I built one for fun,, then bought a 60" "orange" Logrite,, (Stihl)
I use them both,,,

BZBOYNX.jpg

Actually, my DIY does several things much nicer than the store bought one,,
nice handy work!

I have 5 different hooks:

WoodMizer 60”
An old dinosaur that’s the same size
A 40” dinosaur
A 5’ dinosaur
And one I made myself with a much longer hook

the short one is very handy for smaller stuff. Easy to work with. I keep that one m, the W.Mizer, and my biggest one at my sawmill.
The other two I keep at home for when I retrieve logs.
I bought the WoodMizer because they said it could grab 36” logs.
Nope. I really wish it had a longer hook, which is why I made my big one. Someday I’ll make another big hook for it, but that’s a long process even with my cheap plasma cutter.

Back