Buying a new Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snakeysnakeplis

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
About I year ago I bought a Husqvarna 137 cahinsaw well it is underpowered and really not big enough for cutting the tree I want to cut. I have been doing lots of research on saws; I really think that buying a Husqvarna or Stihl is the only option. Because I bought a small Husqvarna the first time I do not want to make the same mistake. I have been looking at these Models

Husqvarna
346 xp I am not sure about this one? Yes fast RPMS but lower end Pro model is fast RMS and smaller HP better?

359 same saw basically but more HP?

357 again same saw but again more HP?

Stihl

MS 260 lower end pro model lower HP
MS 361 lots of HP

Ok I want a good saw I know what the price differences are but for a firewood cutter what would you recommend.

A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.

Last edited:
Oh, its a good weight and has plenty of power.

I figure if you're hanging off it for a few tank fulls of juice you'd want a lighter saw.

It's a good choice, and Stihls are tough.

i just bought the husky 350 18"...nice saw.

i bought it on line from southwest trading. even with shipping they still beat any local price by 50 bucks. sent me 2 chains with it...2 bottles of oil...and a cool t shirt to boot.

I would take the 361 for the same reasons. Also most Stihl saws bring excellant prices after years of service . I had an 034 that preceded the 361. It would take on very large trees with little struggle,was tough and very reliable.

if you are looking at 2 stihls already, buy the one with the most HP. I have had a 028 super Av for 15 years, still a fantastic saw for small trees and limbs.
For big trees and firewood however, I bought the 440 Magnum last fall and I love it. I kept it in the house for 9 months :)

I have me a stihl 036 pro...same as the 361 i believe... average about 5 cords a year...last year and this year Ive done 20-30 ( reselling some wood ) and it has no problems at all.....saw is also 9 or so years old and runs like a gem. Also if you know how to handle a chain saw don't get the safety chains wayyyy ttooooo sllloooowwww....happy cutting

Hey, some here will object, but I like Stihl. Been wanting a 361 forever. Work the snot outa my MS290 in hopes it dies so I can upgrade, but it refuses to quit. (Home-owner opinion, about 5 cords a year.)

buy a 5100 and be done with it.

Awesome power and torque, not too heavy and the price won't kill you.

Dolmar PS5100S! About $380 delivered!

I just went though the whole research/looking/drooling thing. I bought the Dolmar PS5100S iwht an 18" bar. Great 4 horsepower saw, 11.2 pound before bar & juice. Should arrive Friday!

I got mine at Amickssuperstore.com

You may want to consider the local shops as well. If you are getting the saw locally and require service the relationship with a local dealer may be important to you.

ATB,
Mike P

mga said:
i just bought the husky 350 18"...nice saw.

i bought it on line from southwest trading. even with shipping they still beat any local price by 50 bucks. sent me 2 chains with it...2 bottles of oil...and a cool t shirt to boot.
me too

Yup.............can't go wrong with the Stihl MS 361 :clap: I just love mine :greenchainsaw: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

Latest posts

Back