Buying Heat Exchangers and Side Arm Thermo Siphon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurch16th

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Just unloaded my Heatmor and been searching for a 24 x 24 Heat Exchanger and a Side Arm for my hot water tank.

Is there anyplace special to look for these things and get some prices? I did some searching and found maybe 3 sites that sell them.

I ebay'd both of mine....there is a pile of different sizes of heat exchangers on there, most are about the same. Couple different side arms on there also, two long copper ones (one has grooves inside) a stainless one and a short copper one with mini tubes inside, that's the one I used. I got my stuff from KJmotorsports, comes from NY so I get it quick, have 3 exchangers from him, all work fine and look just like the ones freeheat4u sells on ebay, alot of guys on here have use that seller.

freeheat4u

I I purchased all of my wood boiler install parts from freeheat4u on ebay. I'm completely satisfied.

:blob2:

Couldn't find my size on Ebay. I supposedly need a 24" x 24" heat exchanger for my duct work.

Don't know what to think about the Sidearms i saw.

One seller claims the rolled threaded type is safe and the other says multi-tube zs more efficient.

I found large differences in BTU output for the exact same size Heat Exchanger for my ductwork.

You have to really dig into the exchangers if you want to compare BTU output, what water temp they are rating BTU spec at, flowrate etc, it all makes a difference in BTU output. Only difference I found when shopping was some are 3.5" thick and others are 4" .

I was told the rule of thumb on water to air exchangers is put the largest one you can fit in your plenum. Reason being you don't disturb your current through put or CFM's going through the plenum now.

Good luck there are lot's of choices. I bought mine from an ebay seller also can't remember the name and have no complaints.

Yes, I wondered about that. My plenum opening is 20 x 25. My Heatmor Dealer says since i got the next size up woodburner, I should use the next size up heat exchanger, which is 24 x 24. He says i should flare out the corners, so it will fit, if i plan to place it on top of my old wood furnace.

Since my current ductwork sits on top of the opening in my indoor wood furnace and I'm going to remove the old furnace, he says i can also make a bigger duct for the length that goes the rest of the way to the floor. Then make a transition piece to reduce to my upper duct.

Just curious, is your dealer way out of line on heat exhangers and parts? I just find it odd that he is giving you advice and you are looking on ebay for stuff.

Dealer has a Turbo siphon, double wall Sidearm $285.00

24 x 24 Heat Exchanger $345.00

Heck of a nice guy and very helpful.

After what i just spent, i want to make an attempt to keep the cost down.

Make your own sidearm, they really need assembled on site so everything is properly oriented anyway. Buy the proper Tees and file the stop out of the 3/4" so the pipe slides through for the siphon loop. Don't forget to include a mixing valve on water heater outlet cause you'll have some serious hot water in there. My sidearm is smooth, I really question the need for the swirl on the copper. On the water to air HX bigger is better, most ratings are for ideal conditions. Shorter blower run time will probably pay off the exta cost with electricity savings.

I looked at building my own side arm...with the price of 2" pipe fittings and pipe it wasn't worth it... after I bought mine I thought of making two smaller ones with 1" pipe and smaller fitting and putting them in parallel but...ahhh...I had enough going on doing this install, I'm a die hard do-it-yourselfer but I just bought one :)

Back