Buying new MS660 What bar to get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He is right about the ppe... though you do have two hands on the saw. Many of the members who regularly participate in the arborist forum will always point out ppe short falls. In general it is for the good of everyone. Being safe even if it means saving your eyes and putting some cheap glasses on is a PITA sometimes but not only does it protect you, but it also protects the image of our business. People see you cutting with all your ppe on and they perceive you as professional. Even if you are just in the firewood business you are (sadly in many cases) lumped in with professional tree care people. Many of the tree care pro's of old have already done enough damage to the image, we dont need any help from the guys selling firewood for a couple cases of beer.

with that said I have both for a 660 which is run with the stihl duel port muffler and handles the 36 fine in most wood. Though 95% of the time I have just my 25 on and the 36 only comes out when I really need it. Usually just for flush cutting large stumps that I want to have one good clean cut straight across.

I have always run my 66 with a 460 and 361 and use each saw for it's purpose. my 66 has ( sorry still in the old language ) my ms660 I use a 32 inch bar mainly due to not wanting to be really working the saw as I do bring my rakers down and am blowing chips not dust. when I have other stuff that is just not big enough and thats the most of the time use, I use my ms 460 or now my ms 441c ( favorite saw now ) when im cutting the smaller stuff, the ms 361 comes out and that is still a great saw for alot of cutting. :msp_sneaky: I also run skip chain on all of the saws. Listen if you get the right saw for your needs, you can always jump up or down on bar sizes to get a feel of what YOU like. Just be real carefull with all of the saws as they should all be respected the same even the super sharp hand saws will bite ya bad! That's just my 2 cents . I really LOVE the 32 " on the 660. as I could never imagine running anything smaller ?? that's just crazy man you will have to wear shin guards all the time pulling the wood into your shins hard! LOL Be safe man!! wear those Chaps! watch out for the tip of the saw hitting any other wood when your not expecting it that saw will come right up so fast have your thumb all the way around the handle and a good firm grip at all times. Youll be fine!

He is right about the ppe... though you do have two hands on the saw. Many of the members who regularly participate in the arborist forum will always point out ppe short falls. In general it is for the good of everyone. Being safe even if it means saving your eyes and putting some cheap glasses on is a PITA sometimes but not only does it protect you, but it also protects the image of our business. People see you cutting with all your ppe on and they perceive you as professional. Even if you are just in the firewood business you are (sadly in many cases) lumped in with professional tree care people. Many of the tree care pro's of old have already done enough damage to the image, we dont need any help from the guys selling firewood for a couple cases of beer.

with that said I have both for a 660 which is run with the stihl duel port muffler and handles the 36 fine in most wood. Though 95% of the time I have just my 25 on and the 36 only comes out when I really need it. Usually just for flush cutting large stumps that I want to have one good clean cut straight across.

You're right, pig, I couldn't make out the second hand with all those chips flying into his unprotected face. My bad

Been running my 660 predominantly with the 25" bar. I have a 36" bar for occasional ripping of slabs.....Love the 660 with the 25" bar though....

Did you read the introduction to the forum?

"This Forum is for experienced tree climbers. Ask beginner or new to the business questions in the Arborist 101 Forum. Visit our forum sponsor#here."

Figured you were trolling. So my answer would by it depends on how big a tree I'm blockin down. Up to 30 inches or so, I'd rather they sent me up a 25. If I'm blocking out a spar thats over 30 inches, I'll put up with that damn 36 hanging off my saddle.

A 660 pulls a 36 just fine, but I prefer the balance with a 25.

Jolly, this IS the Arborist 101 forum...oh well...lol

Tried several lengths on the 660, I think my favorite for firewood is the 28 inch bar. Good balance, weight

The saw will pull 36 inch bar fine but I really notice the extra weight hanging out front at the end of the day.

We cut most of our wood out of piles so I don't always like the extra length, especially if its smaller rounds.

But for something like your picture, I'd slap on the 36 and cut everything from one side

i just bought a 660 about two months ago. i got a stihl dp muffler and a 28" bar with it. im not a professional but enjoy using it. i got a good dealer around here. but heres my theory. i would get the biggest bar i could use. you loose a couple of inches due to spike. just somethig to think about. bigger bar only ad a little cash. smaller bar cheaper when you buy it alone. my dealer also give chains half price with a new saw. i also got the ceramic chain roller$8.bumper strip for mine.$14, forr mine i have run but about 7 or eight tanks with mine but getting stronger with each tank. i also might try to get an r version with the oiler. if you get one make shure you adjust the oiler. on my it was set very low from the factory. i hope this helps. sooner or later i will get a 32 inch bar for it. which i think would be about my max. since you loose a couple due to spike. anything smaller i use my 044 for.

28"-30" sugihara! Booyah

Everyone-
Sorry it took me a few days to get this reply out to everyone who responded to me. I wanted to say Thank You all very much for the info- it was exactly what I was looking for. Maybe I should wear my PPE while posting and reading on Arborist- you guys are dangerous with words! Sorry, could not help myself. Good news is I put all of your advise to use and with the help of two EXTREEMLY COOL (you know who you are) members, I was able to try out both a MS460 Mag & MS660 back to back. Everything that was said made complete sense, from the weight to the fuel to the bar pros and cons. In the end, I could not choose between them- so I'm buying them both! The set up's I'm ending up with are: MS460 Mag w/25" bar in Stock form & 066 w/32" bar that has been completely set up with all the goodies. I plan to muffler mod the 460 (& maybe send it to Randy for a port job too) and simply to buy a 36" for the 066 for the odd occasion when the 32 won't quite reach/finish (but it will wear the 32 normally). So, now I will have just the right saw to reach for every time (170, 250, 028, 310, 460 & 066). BTW- I work in QA/QC Training, Quality Control and Safety for a living- so even though its not readily apparent in the pic I posted, I ALWAYS cut with two hands on the saws, I am wearing ANSI rated clear full wrap
glasses with shatterproof lenses, 3M yellow Music Man/sound canceling headphones that have a better db cut rating than the (4 pairs) of Stihl heaphones that I also own (one of which also has the flip-down full mesh face shield), steel toe work boots and Kevlar gloves. And I wear this gear religiously every time I cut. The camo hat and fatigues just seem to go hand in hand with chainsaws! I have been thinking of investing in a pair of chaps (they are just so damn expensive- but cheaper than stitches and lost limbs- I know)... Hey, seriously, thank you all again for everything. Scott

Everyone-
Sorry it took me a few days to get this reply out to everyone who responded to me. I wanted to say Thank You all very much for the info- it was exactly what I was looking for. Maybe I should wear my PPE while posting and reading on Arborist- you guys are dangerous with words! Sorry, could not help myself. Good news is I put all of your advise to use and with the help of two EXTREEMLY COOL (you know who you are) members, I was able to try out both a MS460 Mag & MS660 back to back. Everything that was said made complete sense, from the weight to the fuel to the bar pros and cons. In the end, I could not choose between them- so I'm buying them both! The set up's I'm ending up with are: MS460 Mag w/25" bar in Stock form & 066 w/32" bar that has been completely set up with all the goodies. I plan to muffler mod the 460 (& maybe send it to Randy for a port job too) and simply to buy a 36" for the 066 for the odd occasion when the 32 won't quite reach/finish (but it will wear the 32 normally). So, now I will have just the right saw to reach for every time (170, 250, 028, 310, 460 & 066). BTW- I work in QA/QC Training, Quality Control and Safety for a living- so even though its not readily apparent in the pic I posted, I ALWAYS cut with two hands on the saws, I am wearing ANSI rated clear full wrap
glasses with shatterproof lenses, 3M yellow Music Man/sound canceling headphones that have a better db cut rating than the (4 pairs) of Stihl heaphones that I also own (one of which also has the flip-down full mesh face shield), steel toe work boots and Kevlar gloves. And I wear this gear religiously every time I cut. The camo hat and fatigues just seem to go hand in hand with chainsaws! I have been thinking of investing in a pair of chaps (they are just so damn expensive- but cheaper than stitches and lost limbs- I know)... Hey, seriously, thank you all again for everything. Scott

Hey Scott, glad you got it figured out, and I didn' t mean to come down on ya that hard. At the time I was climbing a tree for my dad in a pair of shorts and flipflops, one handing my 200 in one hand and texting with the other, while I was sipping a rum and coke out of my camelback. Pics to follow...

Seriously, we try to keep each other safe, and sometimes it seems harsh, but this is an unforgiving business. Iwelcome the critiques my brothers give me because it keeps me cuttin safe. Congrats on the 660, one of the best saws ever made ( but a pig in the tree) Jeff

Hey Scott, glad you got it figured out, and I didn' t mean to come down on ya that hard. At the time I was climbing a tree for my dad in a pair of shorts and flipflops, one handing my 200 in one hand and texting with the other, while I was sipping a rum and coke out of my camelback. Pics to follow...

Seriously, we try to keep each other safe, and sometimes it seems harsh, but this is an unforgiving business. Iwelcome the critiques my brothers give me because it keeps me cuttin safe. Congrats on the 660, one of the best saws ever made ( but a pig in the tree) Jeff

Jeff,
Thanks for the reply- very cool of you to do so. It was not my intention to waste anyone's time on the climbing forum- actually being a new member, and not posting much prior (they were on the 101 & saw forums) I did not really catch the "climbing" focus- just keyed in on the "we cut for a living" nature of that forum. I looked at the number of posts and the amount of people logged on the various other forums and chose the one that had higher numbers than all of the other forums combined. Also, I figured with the spec of saw in question- that professionals would be the best/most applicable to ask. Lastly & honestly, I did not really think that professionals would really be eager to take the time to be reading through the 101 site looking for questions to answer for the fun of it either. I will try to be a little more thick skinned as well!
Be safe up there & :rock:Thanx, Scott

Jeff,
Thanks for the reply- very cool of you to do so. It was not my intention to waste anyone's time on the climbing forum- actually being a new member, and not posting much prior (they were on the 101 & saw forums) I did not really catch the "climbing" focus- just keyed in on the "we cut for a living" nature of that forum. I looked at the number of posts and the amount of people logged on the various other forums and chose the one that had higher numbers than all of the other forums combined. Also, I figured with the spec of saw in question- that professionals would be the best/most applicable to ask. Lastly & honestly, I did not really think that professionals would really be eager to take the time to be reading through the 101 site looking for questions to answer for the fun of it either. I will try to be a little more thick skinned as well!
Be safe up there & :rock:Thanx, Scott

No worries, and yes the members here are great about responding to questions in any forum. Btw, if you really want to have fun, toss a 20 on that 660, go help your buddy saturday, don't let him get a good look at the saw' and start rippin through the small stuff.

Latest posts

Back