Buying top handle saw HELP HELP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treetopper02

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking for a awsome top handle saw? What modle do you recommend, least repairs excellent runner Echo, older Stihls 019t maybe EBay or new ones anything will Help Thank you.

Adam

Mike is no doubt right, if you are a "classic" homeowner, and not an experienced chainsaw user.

Could you tell us a bit more about yourself?

They are dangerous!!!!!

Mike Maas said:
The best top handled saw for a homeowner is a rear handled saw. They are much too dangerous for a novice wood cutter.

I don't care how experinced anyone is all saws are dangerous. I have cut wood since I was 10 and now at 34 I have a lot of experince in the trees and on the ground zone. Everyone use common sense when cutting even the EXPERINCED ONES.

treetopper02 said:
I don't care how experinced anyone is all saws are dangerous.

True, but you are not addressing the fact that top handled saws are more dangerous, much more dangerous. In some parts of the world you need to be certified just to buy one.
Your statement leads me to believe you don't understand the risks. If your not climbing or running a bucket truck for a living, it would be best to use a small rear handled saw. Nobody likes to use a top handled saw on the ground, and if your just going to do a little climbing or bucket work, look at saws like the Husky 336, Stihl MS200, or Echo 345. They are equal in every way to the top handled saws of the same brand, in fact, they weigh the same and have the same motors. They just use a much safer rear handle.
If you are an arborist and have decided you need a top handle, then choose your poison based on dealer support. If you have 10 good Stihl Dealers within 5 miles of your house, and the nearest Husky dealer is 150 miles away, then go Stihl.

Go with a Stihl MS200T and don't look back.......They are the best in there class if you ask me....Plus stay off of ebay:censored: .......They are getting way to much for that carp on there:cry: ......I got a saw from a person on here..And he got nailed hard on that saw from ebay..It was remasked for a bigger size saw and it was not...(Ebay whole saws way to much and moslty someone else's junk and getting almost list price for new for junk.....Parts for saws yea it it good..)

Allan.K

Mike Maas said:
True, but you are not addressing the fact that top handled saws are more dangerous, much more dangerous. In some parts of the world you need to be certified just to buy one.
Your statement leads me to believe you don't understand the risks. If your not climbing or running a bucket truck for a living, it would be best to use a small rear handled saw. Nobody likes to use a top handled saw on the ground, and if your just going to do a little climbing or bucket work, look at saws like the Husky 336, Stihl MS200, or Echo 345. They are equal in every way to the top handled saws of the same brand, in fact, they weigh the same and have the same motors. They just use a much safer rear handle.
If you are an arborist and have decided you need a top handle, then choose your poison based on dealer support. If you have 10 good Stihl Dealers within 5 miles of your house, and the nearest Husky dealer is 150 miles away, then go Stihl.

Couldn't have said it better.:cheers:

treetopper02 said:
I am looking for a awsome top handle saw? What modle do you recommend, least repairs excellent runner Echo, older Stihls 019t maybe EBay or new ones anything will Help Thank you.

Adam

People on this site seem to like the 200T. In other threads, people have said that they really like the Husky 338XPT ergonomics/handling/power, but they'd like to see less plastic in it.

If you're not using it all day to earn a living, maybe one of the other lesser known brands might be better value.

Redmax has had some good writeups on their top handle.

I fiddled with a Tanaka 10" top handle in a shop while I waited the other day. It was light with lots of plastic, but the ergonomics of it seemed nice enough. It was less than a third of the price of a 200T.

Also, people say that the Stihl 192T is a nice saw, just not as good as the 200T. Some other people have commented that a 192T produces a lot more power with an extra 10mm hole in the muffler. Obviously the 192T wouldn't be as durable as a 200T.

Treetopper02,

Welcome to the site.

I gotta side with Mr. Mass on this one... unless you are going to be doing a lot of climbing, I would stay away from a top handle saw. If you are on the ground, then are not even comfortable to run, at least in my book...

Back