Buzz Saw ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pcoz88

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Is there any place on the web to find info on buzz saws?:confused: Like to build one or buy one.Buzz saw blades? Any and all info would be appeicated.Thank-you.

Pete :confused: :confused:
:givebeer:

What kind of info do you want? You see them on Ebay every once in a while, and often there are blades on there. Otherwise, start checking out old farm auctions and such. You can usually get them bought for scrap iron price.

I have one that used to be meant to be mounted on a tractor, but I rebuilt it as its own little two wheel cart. Got an old Tecumseh 10 hp motor on it I got for $5 at an auction (run pretty good after I got all the mud-dabber nests out of the exhaust and went through the carb.). I think the blade is around 24", but I'd have to measure it to be sure. I've put 10" hedge through it with little problem, just have to go slow through the cut.

Is there any place on the web to find info on buzz saws?:confused: Like to build one or buy one.Buzz saw blades? Any and all info would be appeicated.Thank-you.

Pete :confused: :confused:
:givebeer:

In your local area, watch the farmers junk yards/scrap heaps, check with the metal recyclers. I spent my hours as the 'take-off boy' one ours. Even back then I recognized them as being probably the most dangerous equipment we had.

Harry K

Country implement stores often have them.
Dearborn made a nice one to mount on the three point hitch of Ford tractors.
Watch the countryside for them. If you get the shaft and bearings, the rest is easy. I think rusty old blades can be lightly sandblasted, then sharpened just fine.

You should find a picture of one mounted on the front of a Farmall tractor pretty easily. The Farmall M often had one mounted on the front frame rails and driven from the side PTO pulley.

They are very effective, but dangerous. The downside is that you have to pick up the log to cut it. Really great on 2-4" wood, especially if you want it short for a cookstove.

...I think rusty old blades can be lightly sandblasted, then sharpened just fine...

You have to watch out for tiny cracks at the base of the tooth on a lot of old blades you come across. I've found a couple that looked pretty decent, but when cleaned up showed small fractures at the base of the tooth. I suspect someone had got carried away putting the set in the teeth, but I'm not sure of that.

An M Farmall is quite a bit of tractor for a buzz saw. Dad had his mounted on a B John Deere for years and years, then when he sold the B he rebuilt the brackets to fit his H Farmall. Like I said, I just have an old worn out 10 hp motor (probably making more like 6-8 in the condition it's in) on mine and it motors through some pretty big stuff.

Like others said, I would check around at auctions and farm equipment dealers. Also ebay has them quite often.
I grew up using one and still do today. We used to have one that was on a trailer that ran off a belt driven by an old GMC engine. Now I use one that mounts to a 3 point hitch and is driven by a belt powered by the tractor's pto. I split all my wood to 4' lengths, stack it to dry, then cut it to stovelength with the saw rig. With a helper taking wood off and throwing it into a truck, I can cut a cord, 4x4x8', in about 45 minutes. They can be dangerous, but like anything else, you just have to be careful. Eye and hearing protection always, and keep the area where you stand free from small pieces, etc.

Latest posts

Back