Buzz Work???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husky288XP

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
What is your opinion on a major company dictating whether or not you can do side jobs? I think it is a bunch of $hit and they should mind their own business. What happens after hours is to no concern of the company.

Well, I am not a major company, but do have a problem with side work. It may not be a popular stand but one I take none the less. Any work you do on the side takes buisness away from the company that supports you and your family. You and your family are important when you work for our company. The more work we get, the more money that is available for raises, equipment, training ect.

It is not an uncommon policy. Do whatever you want on your own time, except compete with the company you work for.

Since most companies with such policies make it plain right up front, it shouldn't be an issue because you accepted the job knowing what the rules are. Of course, if the company changes the rules in the middle of the game, that's a different situation.

I am against side jobs, although I have used asplund crews to help with some jobs. I think it is bad manners to compete with the your main job.

I actually had two workers who asked if I would care if they borrowed some gear and did a tree on the side to make some extra money. Neither of them work for me anymore.

I Work For Asplundh They Dont Care If We Do Private Work But Its Not Competition For Them Because They Just Do Line Clearance Around Here

Lumberjack,
Don't start this stuff with "they don't work for me" they probably work for your old man. You were just lucky enough to get born into a stump grinding company, then trying your hand at climbing. I was climbing and preforming all facets of arboriculture before you even raked stump grindings.

Dont start talking before you know what your talking about.

Edit:

Why do you keep with the personal attacks? They worked for me BTW.

I am against side jobs, although I have used Asplundhcrews to help with some jobs....................... Do as I say, not as I do. Bill Clinton shows up again, "I did not have sex with that woman...yes I smoked pot but...My boss always let me take an 020 and some ropes, now I have my own ms 200 so I only ask him for a bull rope. What goes around comes around Lumberjack, share the wealth, don't be greedy.

As a company owner my twopennys worth-

I hope to pay them well enough and they wont need to, However- had some employees borrow (without asking) a 4x4 and chipper to do a weekend job they had quoted against me on. when i found out I kicked their arse out and made sure the other companys in the area knew what they were like...
On the other hand I've had some employees ask if i minded them doing a foriegner at the weekend, and i have no probs with that - even lent them gear on occasion and covered them with my insurance if they wanted it. they did'nt have to ask me but i respect them for doing so. (they always got me a crate of beer in return, wich was nice)
it comes down to attitude - if you want to compete with me, dont expect me to support you, get out and do it on your own

Thor-great attitude, you sound like my boss, it will come back to you, always does.

Number One: My pay sucks, $12.00 an hour is b@ll$hit for a Cert. Arborist with years of experience.

Number Two: I use all of my own personal equipment, even disposable ear plugs, get the drift.

Number Three: I service my clientele in a whole different part of town.

Now whats the companies problem with me, I can see competing or stealing customers, but my work is separate from company BS.

You guys can compare with your own companies, but most of you are small fish in comparison.

I wanted input from large company employees who get the same $hit treatment.

Everybody does buzz jobs, guys at Davey, Asplundh etc. all the way down the line. There is nothing wrong with it if you never bid against your boss, buy him alcohol or something else when you use his stuff. When you work your ass off all day, buzzers are the bonus. My boss is good to me, so I am good to him. Thor understands, why don't you Lumberjack?

Husky288XP said:
Number One: My pay sucks, $12.00 an hour is b@ll$hit for a Cert. Arborist with years of experience.

Number Two: I use all of my own personal equipment, even disposable ear plugs, get the drift.

Number Three: I service my clientele in a whole different part of town.

Now whats the companies problem with me, I can see competing or stealing customers, but my work is separate from company BS.

You guys can compare with your own companies, but most of you are small fish in comparison.

I wanted input from large company employees who get the same $hit treatment.

1. Your pay insnt my fault, piss on someone else.

2. I use and paid for all my gear myself, I even bought the RG50.

3. Your clientele is different, good for you!

Small fish in comparison. Lets see, for starters I am 18 bud, I am YEARS ahead of you AND the horse you road in on.

If you wanted imput from large company employees, then your basically at the wrong place.

Lumberjack you are lucky to have grown up around a stump citter service I guess thats what you want to call it. You probably care less about trees and other aboriculture. You are just in it for the money. It was probablt one day it clicked in your head my daddy has a nice business I think I should take over one day and get all his money. And you probably kissed some major a$$ to get a rg50 unless it was a hammy-down.LOL And if you have so much more experience then husky when did u start climbing tree for business?

Back