Caber piston rings from Northwood Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitris223

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Has any one here bought caber piston rings from Northwood Saw. I did last year and I know they came in a small white envelope . Now they may buy in bulk and repackage that way . But there is no marking on the ring to indicate they are real caber like laser etching if that is a thing like I have seen on a hyway piston ring. How do I know I got the real thing. I now see on their site they have lower prices this year. Checked Bailey's and I am not sure if there price is for 1 or 2 rings. It looks like the just use a generic picture for all piston rings. I do have a caber set coming from another place so I can compare when that package does arrive eventually.
Why do guys not like the f cast rings . What's the other style to buy. All I see listed are the f cast at the most common spoke of vendors.

When I get them they're in a stapled translucent wax paper envelope, have been for a number of years.
F cast have more tension and may be harder, I think a little lighter color also.
I don't know if that's necessarily good or bad, depends on what application what you expect them to do I guess.
Cabers have a small bevel and obvious machine lines, a bit different look than most others.

Caber does sell in bulk to many distributors- the last Caber rings I bought from the "Greek" (aka Leonidas) came in white envelopes. They didn't have any laser etching but they did have the distinctive bevel that Bill mentioned.

There are two grades of Caber rings widely available these days so it may depend on which grade you purchased.

When I get them they're in a stapled translucent wax paper envelope, have been for a number of years.
F cast have more tension and may be harder, I think a little lighter color also.
I don't know if that's necessarily good or bad, depends on what application what you expect them to do I guess.
Cabers have a small bevel and obvious machine lines, a bit different look than most others.
We're they from Northwood Saw or some where else. This is how mine showed up from Northwood Saw.15127834953681030141223.jpg 1512783532454875405669.jpg

What's this bevel look like. Mine are looking pretty flat. All my saws are husky if they have a different piston ring them stihl maybe. 15127838953091553517193.jpg

I looked under magnification and there is a bevel on all but the 44.3 mm rings that I have for the 346xp piston
They all have the horizontal machine marks . Probably good to go. See what the next batch looks like. For $4.50 for most of my saws I can't really pay the other guys $2.99 to $3.99 for unknown brand aftermarket chinese rings.

Latest posts

Back