cabling......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budroe69moni

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i was out on 2 seperate bids yesterday and game across 2 oaks that i thought were prime canidates for cabling.

1st was a live oak that had co-dominate leaders starting at about 3 feet up w/ a 18-20" diameter each. one side was fine but the other was starting to grow into the side of the house. it was rubbing up against the gutter. the spread between the two is about 10-12'. it would have to be moved out about 12" for clearance. the tree itself is about 40' tall........is cabling fesible????

2nd was another live oak w/ co-dominate leaders but this tree is at least 75 yrs old. it's in great shape but the homeowner is concerned that if we get a big blow, the one side will come down on his house. the diameter is at least 3 feet on each leader and the spread between the 2 is about 30'.
where should i start???????
let me know,
thanks,
budroe
:cool:

the 1st tree's branches start about 3' above the roof line.........
how can prunning correct this????????
budroe:cool:
p.s what are the pros and cons of the cobra system???????
remember mike, i'm new to this...........

If you need 12" of clearance, just cut the induvidual branches back 12" or so. Carefully make cuts at lateral branches. This is better than removing a whole branch.
If I read your idea correctly, you wanted to pull the tree 12" over? This ain't gonna happen.

The Cobra offers a noninvasive, dynamic, way of holding the tree together.
I have had cabled trees, snap right where the cable attaches, from the sudden stop of the trunk, by the cable.

well......so much for tree #1.

where can i get more info on the cobra system???????
how about the cost of the system???????
let me know,
budroe:cool:

The first thing that you need to do to learn about cabling is to get a copy of the Best Management Practices:CAbling and Bracing from the ISA. The pamphlet translates the A300 standard into language that is easier to read. The standards are what is the accepted practices of the industry.

If you have never done cabling you should do some studying first. You need to be aware of risk management practices and make sure the you and your client are comfortable living with a hazard tree. Actually, all trees are hazards. Don Blair says that the only safe tree is a stump. If you cable the tree, you become a little more responsible for it's care. You should get your copy of Arborist Equipment and read what Don included in the chapter on Cabling. You do own a copy of AE don't you? If not, order it when you get a copy of the BMP from the ISA. Then take the time to read both books, cover to cover.

A landscape gardener that I do work for sent me a nice referral. There
are three trees that need some cabling/bracing. One of them is a large
sling shot locust. Their is canker in the main crotch and some decay
from an old branch tear out. Someone put a cable in, too low, some time
ago. That cable is broken. I'm going to be able to put in a nice hybrid
system. I'll pull the crown together some and install at least one 5/8"
threaded rod, maybe two just above the main crotch. After installing the bracing I'll slack off
the come along. Then, about six feet above the bracing I'll install a
steel cable with through bolts. The limbs are still about a foot in
diameter and really clear, no old branches, so I'm confident that there
will be little decay. Then above, higher in the crown, I'll install the
Cobra or Libre. Since the locust is pretty thin I should be able to get some
decent pictures. I've got a twelve foot three leg ladder so I can get
back away from the crown a little.

For more discuussion about cabling, go over to the ISA discussion forum and do a search on "cabling" or "Cobra" You can go to the "tree-Tech dot com/board" or http://tree-tech.com/board/
and do the same search. Both sites have some really good, extensive discussions. If you can't get the link because of this sites Edit feature, drop me an email and I'll give you the URL.

Tom

Latest posts

Back