CAD score, the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat... joy, recrimination, etc...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcorey

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Have never done a 'score!' post, feel bad rubbing it in mostly, I guess this is just venting as much as anything.
Sorta long winded, there's always the option of skipping to the next post for the pics.

So yesterday I see a cr listing for just "chainsaws", has a very brief, criptic description and pictures of 7 well used looking Husqvarna's and a crushed 200t.
Priced right in my do-able range at well under 4 digits.
I have some fun trying to id what's there.
Crappy quality pics but lots of angles, looks like maybe a 394, 372, 357, 346, 257, 242, 36. Yes! That'll fill some voids in the 'collection'.
A few with busted vent fins, busted chainbrake handles but most are pretty complete looking. 15 minutes up the road even!

I quickly send email stating my interest, no response after a whole day.
Oh well, of course these deals don't usually last 5 minutes. I often wonder how many are listed and (mercifully) gone/taken down before I ever see 'em.
Missed an equally killer deal by minutes a couple weeks ago (to someone I know even, funny story actually)...

Next morning, hmm, ad still up...
Get home late from work, I have a response on my answering machine! 'Still have saws, they all run(!), call me'.
Rattled off a bunch of model #'s, some make sense, some don't (a 262, would be nice but I don't see one, a 46(?), I'm getting a bit suspicious.

I call back, former tree guy, not really into saws specifically, 'they were just necessary tools'. Selling everything including a bucket truck, sounds better now.
He said too late to come over tonight, so we schedule for noon next day. I lose sleep figuring someone will call and offer a lot more, too good to be true, etc.

Get there next day, nice guy, 23 years owning a tree service just burned out on it, back problems, doing better with other pursuits.
Some of the saws are little rough but all have good compression and one by one actually start/run even after siting for a year. A couple popped on first pull.

After the obligatory lower offer is politely turned down, I pay his asking price and also get get a bunch of chains and a nice Oregon 511a Grinder thrown in!
Ended up as a 394, 362, 357, 346oe, 257, 246, 136, 200t. All with decent bars even...

Do some errands on the way home, unload the car, go in and check 'The List'.
"262xp, won't start, $35".
Looks really clean, nice 20" bar, with a phone number even.
Look at the time on the ad, posted 5 min after I had left earlier, got to be long gone.
I call repeatedly, no pickup, probably sick of all the calls and not picking up.
Email anyway.

Go play with the new acquisitions until dark, come in, check email.
From an hour ago, "Sorry I wasn't home, you were first response, still have saw, call me..."
I call, "...sorry, someone else just called and is on their way over..."

Now I'm bummed at the loss, my bad timing... Been looking for a cheap 262 like that for a long time, never had one.
Just got a hugely awesome score but can't keep thinking about the one that just got away.

Eats at ya', just gnaws away, f'in Cad sucks...

Beer time...

I'm mostly all better now, of course, but...

These events seemingly had a catalitic effect, I now finally feel officially overwhelmed with saws. I hope it wears off some.
At this point I couldn't accurately estimate how many I have to within a margin of 10...

Don't know what to work on next, too many choices. They all beg for attention, even the good runners are mostly on the 'to be further modded' list.
Just got a right angle grinder, some pistons and top end kits, still need an insane number of parts.

Thankfully finances are a good limiting factor but it's still a quick easy thing to acquire more and quite another thing to get them all together the way I want.
And find somewhere to put them all...

Disclaimer:
This is definitely not a f/s solicitation, evidently I'm a dedicated saw hoarder so please, no 'saw wanted' pm's...

Bill

The 200T has the special edition see through handle

Curious as well to price, kind of tough to say you suck if we don't have that info:msp_scared:

nice, so what was the damage $ ?

How much $$

What, is this necessary to determine relative suck-age?

If you local guy's were on cl yesterday as you should've been, you'd know.

Like I said, I don't like to rub it in.

Think I'll at least keep you guy's in suspense for a while...

Ok, counting the grinder, comes out to the nice round number of 9 at $66.66 (plus infinite string of more 6's ) each... Or $600...

Always difficult to quantify these deals but $ wise I don't think this is even in the top 5 of my best scores. Well, maybe...

Bill

Last edited:
Yes, for official "suckage" there has to be prices involved. Anyone can go out and acquire 50 or more saws in a few hours if they have a really big wad of money. The "you suck" award goes to those who score great stuff at prices that make everyone else wish THEY were the ones that found the deal.

Now that you have posted prices, I hereby grant a heartfelt "you suck".

A lot!

Yup, when you can sell two and get all your money back and have the rest of the pile "for free" then you most definitely suck.

I console myself with the fact that I wouldn't have the time to sort all through that pile so it was best I didn't encounter it.

Well, have to cut out, I have some estate and flea market sales to visit today...lol.

a little follow-up/progress report

Got in some quality time with the saws, funny how the new acquisitions always sneak in to the front of the line.
I usually go through each new (to me) saw before starting, dump the old gas, take of all the covers and blow it out, look for loose hardware, loose/torn boots, etc.
Then a compression check, pull the muffler... Usually no leakdown test or carb dis-assembly unless there are running issues indicating need for such.

Now I find myself slipping, skipping right to a startup and tune.
Like, hell, I already started 'em or at lest tried before I bought 'em... If there's' major problems I'll likely find out quickly...

Anyway...

The 394 runs great, flagship of the score. Quite a beast, wonderful sound, blows 160psi.
I'll be starting this saw on occasion just to listen to it...

Not a real practical size for what I normally cut but have been threatening to try some milling so this is it, no more excuses.
Already made a frame, just have to dig up some chain I don't mind grinding down to 10 degrees.
The 24" GB that came with it would do for now but I can't seem to dig up two similar 3/8 .058 to stick together for it.
Somehow mutt chains with different types of cutters and rakers mixed in just bug me, even if they work ok.

Have a 20" b&c on it for now, trying to avoid stealing a bigger b&c from another saw so as to force me into setting this one up with it's own.

On to the 362, this one intrigues me because I know very little about them, other than what I've read here just recently.
Seems like an odd duck, basically a 372 chassis but with a small mount bar. Then 10 less cc's and the dual transfers... Why?
Apparently popular with loggers in some areas, someone mentioned fuel economy.
I would think they should hold up well with the robust 'chassis to power ratio'...

Like many/most of us here I usually gravitate toward the biggest displacement model in any 'family'
and always feel a compulsion to 'upgrade' any of the 'lesser' models in a family to maximum potential.
So I'm skeptical of whether or not I'll take to it.

Started and ran ok but idled high and didn't respond as it should to idle screw or low needle adjustment.
4 stroked well at WOT so decided to try it in some wood.
Very smooth feeling with decent midrange torque but seemed somewhat anemic up top and a bit slow to spool up.
Compression felt maybe suspect but it blew 155.
Gave it some closer scrutiny and found that the front edge of the muffler deflector had been squished almost closed, missed that one first time around.
Amazing it ran at all, never mind that well.
Pried it back up and wow, what a difference, like an instant muff mod.
Pulled nicely with the 20" bar buried in red oak in noodle mode but clogged up quickly.

I have a stock 372 to put it up against once I get into some decent sized wood, not sure I'd notice much difference in the 12-18" stuff.

The 357 is probably my favorite of the bunch, from a practical standpoint.
Didn't have to do anything to it, just runs right. A real screamer, starts right up, idles perfect, very responsive.
Like many 60cc range saws, a good all around size for a one saw plan. A keeper.

Will have to put it up against the ms361.

346 is in the best cosmetic condition of the bunch but somewhat problematic. Starts, idles and cuts fine but then has an intermittent and significant 'midrange bog'.
Didn't respond to low adjust short of many turns. Didn't play with it for long, will need a good going over, shelved for later.

The 257 runs nice, cuts nice, a little rough cosmetically. But it's just a 257 (not a 262), shrug...

The 246 also runs, cuts well, ok condition. Nothing special for an older, open port, 46cc saw but still enjoyed playing with it.
Will have to think about an appropriate lineup for a shootout with this one.

136 has no issues, nothing broken or missing, starts, runs, idles, all flawlessly. Figures... Not bad little saws, really... for something...
I have a big overflowing box of these things that I've yet to put any effort into. I don't specifically buy them, they just keep showing up, by osmosis or something.
I just throw them in the box... This one is my first runner of this family.

The 200t seems fine, other than it's scratched and dirty and that the entire handle/air filter is destroyed.
Starts with a prime, sounds snappy. Evidently got dropped out of a tree right after it had been repaired from the previous time it got dropped from a tree.
Owner of tree service very unhappy about this, lol. Easy fix but parts are expensive and hard to find used because, a) it's a stihl and b) all the parts saws are crushed in the same place.
I already have another functional one anyway so this one will be archived until I luck into the parts. Someday...

Bill

Latest posts

Back