CAD - Used Stihl shopping

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colson04

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
so...I have an MS362. Great saw, love it, but I don't have a backup.

I'm looking to stick with Stihl saws, and used. So, that in mind, I'm having a hard time figuring out what would be a good price for a saw, fair price, bad price, or awesome price for various models. I've been looking for a 260/261 and/or a 440/441/460/461. I'd eventually like to have 1 of each class (50/60/70cc). I'm well aware of what the new saws in those classes run would run, but it seems that the used market is all over the dang place.

Some examples from local craigslist:

MS260 w/bar & chain $225 (shows faded plastic, wear on bar, lots of paint chips/scratches
MS441 w/bar & chain $800 (looks nice/mint in pictures)
MS441C w/bar & chain $495 (shows some fading on plastic, clean otherwise)
MS440 Magnum pho $300 (shows obvious use, stated that it was run commercially and needs muffler)
MS460 w/bar & chain $500 (shows obvious use in pics)
MS461 w/bar & chain $800 (claims to be new, never used though ad seems sketchy)
MS460 Magnum w/bc $550 (shows some age, faded plastic, etc)

I understand that these are CL prices and are pretty much always set high for negotiations, but if I were to go check one out, where do I negotiate from? I understand saw condition greatly affects price, but I'm having a hard time determining what is a good price (range) for these particular saw models. While I've bought plenty of other equipment used, I've never bought a used saw and just having a hard time figuring out negotiating plan.

Here is what I paid for my personnel saws.

MS200t - looks good needed carb cleaned, $275 eBay

MS361 - saw had just a few hours of use and said the oiler was messed up and carb problems, $200 CL

MS440 - saw looks very nice, minimal use runs perfect, $380 pawn shop

Ms660 - like new condition, runs great, $450 eBay.

These are damn good prices on these and these saws are clean. If your not in a hurry good deals on good clean saws are out there. Just need to be patient.

Thanks LowVolt, that was what I was looking for/curious about. I'm not in a hurry as I don't need a backup saw tomorrow. I've been watching CL for a while now, haven't really spent much time on eBay looking for saws yet.

Were those prices pho, or was bar & chain included?

I've purchased a lot of used saws. Since cad set in, I've actually made a decent little hobby out of buying and parting them. When you go look at a used saw, expect the worst. Almost every saw I bought to rebuild when I first got into this needed more than it looked like it would. I'm at the point now where I don't even buy many running saws for my use. It way nicer to know the whole thing is gone over the right way. If you buy the older faded saws, expect to need new rubber bits and some new seals to make them a reliable runner. If you don't, you'll be rebuilding with a very expensive start. The best option IMO if you want running saws that are ready to go, look for one in the classified section here from a reputable member.

Bars and chains with all of them, got a case with the 361. Got a 36" bar and chain with the 660. Be careful on eBay. Some of those saws can really bite you in the ace. I don't buy many from eBay, strictly cl.

My used Stihls from CL:
MS261 - 1-yr old with virtually no run time; tank full of bad fuel mix & water: $300
MS440 - 10-yrs old with lots of run time; flywheel fin & master switch broken; chain catcher sheared off; needed carb rebuild; 161 psi compression: $465
MS440 - 2-yrs old with minimal run time; very clean; had carb rebuilt and that was it; strong runner: $400

Be patient and check out CL every day. I wouldn't buy on eBay. Look for clean, newish saws, preferably from a homeowner who previously suffered from CAD and is now trying to put some $$$ in his pocket.

441c for that price would be one I would check out. The 440 would be the other one I would go check out.

Latest posts

Back