CAD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pafire

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Good evening All. At what point is a chainsaw not worth repairing? Do you make it a shelf queen, repar it.sell it for parts, or part it out. So when does restoring chainsaw become a money pit. Also would the brand of vintage saws weight on the decision as to the final outcome. :drinkingcoffee::drinkingcoffee:

I just struggled with decision on an Echo 330T (top handle). Put a new shortblock ($120), now one of my favorite saws. I think the answer is different for a saw to sell vs a saw to keep! Good luck!

I think the answer is different for a saw to sell vs a saw to keep! Good luck!

Very much so. My Homie XL101 has more $ in parts invested than I'll ever get out of it, but it was my Dad's, so I'll likely keep it around.

I think this same problem comes into play with your auto. Is it worth putting a new transmission into your 300k mile car? Depends more on you than it does the car.

If its gonna be a keeper, I barely keep track of the money. If its one that I find interesting to work on and to use a little but plan on selling it later on, I build them well, but end up spending enough that I usually only break even on. Beyond that, it has to be next to free to get and fix up, then sell. A burnt up Jred 2145 just landed in my lap and would cost way more than I'm interested in playing with for what it is. I'll probably just pull a few parts off it and send it elsewhere.

IMOA the mystery of CAD is the more your involved in repairing, buying, trading and collecting information on saws, Cad digs into you like a tick.
Soon enough you won't be able to resist a mini mac until you learn the lesson that there a PITA to work on for what they are worth.
It just depends on what types of saws you want to collect. If I can see a value of a certain brand of a parts saw I'll keep it. You may think
it's a long shot to find parts for it, but before you know it you find another one, and another one, and another one. Soon you'll be well along with your
2 or 3 saw plan until your into your 25, 50, 100+. I have a friend that's way over 250+ saws in his stable. He sells some and buys some all the time.
With that said on to answering your questions.

#1 If you make a living repairing saws for others it depends on what the customer wants to spend.
If it is your hobby repairing saws for yourself or others, when it is not enjoyable or you run out of storage space that when it's not worth working on.

#2 In my collection there are no shelf Queens they all see action some more than others.

#3 When you are embarrassed to tell your friend what you have invested in it, you probably have a money pit.

#4 Sure the Brand or make of a saw weighs heavy on your decision. Example, Solo Twin, Contra Lightning, Sachs Dolmar 166
And a 100 0r more I could name. That's why it's called CAD, you can suppress it at times but for sure it's not curable.

Back